whats wrong with lynx?

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
ok so i have a comet goldfish. now lately he/she(i really dont kno) has been acting up. like before he/she would swim around like crazy, really fast and such but now it just seems to lay around alot. i did my water change today but it didnt help. also his/her fins also look kinda of pink/reddish. im not sure what this means but yea. he/she didnt even come up for food today. also when she ate before, my fantail keeps pushing him/her to get food for itself. i really would like to know whats wrong

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Pink fins isn't a good sign at all. You did a water change, have you tested the water? How long has this tank been set up? A 10 gallon really is much too small for two goldfish -- you most likely have a buildup of toxins in the water.

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
im not sure on toxins because i dont have the test kits. this was my first water change since we got the tank and the fish. its been a month after we bought them now. and accually its a pink tail not fins, sry about bad info.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
You need to do more water changes asap! High ammonia and nitrites and otherwise poor water quality will cause the veins in the tail to expand, causing the tail to look pink. A test kit is very important, but I can assure you, you need to change the water again now -- at least 2/3 of the tank while vacuuming the gravel. Don't touch the filter at all unless you want to slosh the media in your old tank water to remove the big stuff off of it. Use dechlorinator and add water that closely matches your tank temp. Cut back on feeding until your tank stabilises and consider getting at least a 20 gallon tank -- a 10 isn't enough space for 2 goldfish.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
was probably a good move to change all the water as long as no chlorinated water got to your filter.

You really ought to consider picking up some ammonia/nitrite and nitrate test kits.

How big are the goldies now? Seleya is right, a 10g is going to be pretty small for two goldies like yours...you'll need to make sure and do at least 50% of the water once a week normally. Plus your tank is "cycling" (beginning period when a tank is not established yet) so there are bound to be high levels of ammonia and nitrites like seleya said. After your tank is finished cycling (probably at least another month or two) then you'll just have to do as many water changes as it takes to keep your nitrates relatively low.

Did the pink tail get any better with the water change?

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
the comet is not even an inch long and the fantail is about an inch and a quarter. the pink tail stayed the same, it also seems like the tail is falling off because it is continuously getting smaller. will it regrow back? the comet doesnt eat any food anymore though, it just hides inside my sunken ship. i really dont kno whats wrong with it. the fantail also seemed to be bossing the comet around before. also the fantail seems fine.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
the ammonia/nitrite levels probably made the goldies more susceptible to fin rot...

Usually if you keep their water quality up and they get better any damaged fins will grow back in time. Water quality includes keeping a steady pH and temperature (goldfish are cold water fish...do you have a thermometer and know what the temp is in the tank?), no ammonia, no nitrites, low nitrates...not overfeeding and it helps to feed a good quality food.

It wont hurt fish not to eat for over a week...so I wouldn't be too worried about them not eating a whole lot. But you do need to keep an eye on them.

HaWk16

Medium Fish
Nov 27, 2005
Edmonton, Alberta
i have a thermonitor so the water temp is at 71F and if i fully change the water, does that mean the tank has to cycle again? also is flake food better or should i get pellets? and should i add my water conditioning tablet(dont wry i already added declore to the water before putting in the tank) because it says it helps build a protective slim coat and helps cure diseases.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
As long as you put some form of dechlorinator in the water there's no need to put a 2nd kind.

I like to feed my fish whatever they like best and then supplement with some other good stuff as 'treats'. I'm not sure of any treats except an orange slice once in awhile for goldfish (anyone reading this thats NOT for other tropical fish!) so you might look around to see if they enjoy frozen bloodworms or things like that.

When you change all the water out it doesn't effect how your tank is cycling a whole lot, as long as you dont put chlorinated water through your filter because whats happening is that your FILTER is actually building up good bacteria on it (and everywhere else in your tank) so that it can convert your fish waste into something less harmful to them (nitrates) that you pull out with your weekly water changes. SO your tank will continue cycling as it was from the day you set it up until now after the water change.

I think 71 is ok for goldies? Someone correct me if I'm wrong please?