What's up with my Corydora?

Nov 8, 2015
Colorado
One of my Cory's goes from being pretty chill and looking for food, to swimming really fast against the side of the tank and then right back to being chill. I've heard that it's normal, but the other Corys in my tank don't do this nearly as much. Anybody know?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I think there is some individuality in some fish - I had a kuhli loach that would do laps around the tank (vertical laps), none of the others did. Didn't seem to cause an issue.

Is the cory whacking into the glass or just swimming along the glass? Swimming along it is normal (they also go to the top and get a gulp of air from time to time). If he's whacking into it, maybe having more cover / hiding places would help him feel more secure and have less chance of being startled and darting around.

Nov 8, 2015
Colorado
I think there is some individuality in some fish - I had a kuhli loach that would do laps around the tank (vertical laps), none of the others did. Didn't seem to cause an issue.

Is the cory whacking into the glass or just swimming along the glass? Swimming along it is normal (they also go to the top and get a gulp of air from time to time). If he's whacking into it, maybe having more cover / hiding places would help him feel more secure and have less chance of being startled and darting around.
No he's just swimming along the side. Thanks guys:)

kittledee

Small Fish
Nov 14, 2015
One of my Cory's goes from being pretty chill and looking for food, to swimming really fast against the side of the tank and then right back to being chill. I've heard that it's normal, but the other Corys in my tank don't do this nearly as much. Anybody know?
I agree that it seems to be pretty normal. I have a couple of clown plankos that do the same thing. They go from just chilling almost look like their sleeping to racing around the tank at lightning speed and then they settle down and just sort of hang out for a while. Its like when a cat gets "kitty demons" and goes from napping to doing laps around the house -for no apparant reason. Pretty funny to watch!