whats the deal with my bala sharks

shark shak

Medium Fish
Mar 2, 2006
i wanted somthing just a little bit more aggresive for me tank so i decided to buy bala shrks.i thought they would be coo lto havee,WRONG,they are not aggresive at all. all they ever do is hide and run from the other fish that i have.are they sick or am i doing somthing wrong?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I've already combined your threads on bala sharks several times. PLEASE stick to one thread on them. Asking more times wont get you different answers.

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
I'm not to sure why balahs are marked as aggressive, but, in my experience, they're not. They're really quite peaceful. Unless it comes to establishing dominence over another balah in a good sized tank when the balahs them selves are a good size or when there is brine shrimp in the tank (they love that). I don't know why you want an aggressive fish, but if you do, red-tailed sharks are aggressive.

What size tank do you have? Is it a 10 gall if I remember right? If so, it's not the best thing for your balahs. Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but don't they need atleast a 50 gall? Which I want to get so that my balahs will be in a tank big enough for them.

100gls is more like it. At 6' long to boot. And that's for a single bala. These fish do not stay small. Why so much space? They're still babies at 3" and can reach a whopping 13". They're very active which means they need plenty of room to swim. They also prefer to be in groups though it's recommended that if you want more than 1 you get at least 3 because with 2 one will usually dominate and kill the other. They are generally quite peaceful but they spook easy and will slam like some torpedo head-first into whatever objects when frightened. They're also good jumpers so their tanks require fish-tight lids and the lids should be weighed down.
The term "shark" is relative and superficial. It refers to the dorsal fin carried straight and high much like a true shark, but the term "shark" is also added to the common names of may other fish. Most of which are either cyprinids (barbs, danios, rasboras, carps) and catfish (such as Pangasius sp.) most of which are not particularly aggressive, save for the RTBS ;) .
Bala sharks remain a beginner staple but I bet if people knew better they'd decide that perhaps a bala shark isn't the best choice in fish for them.

um, "Nobody"... I'm just a novice, but isn't your 40 gal hex way too stocked? Maybe if you took the bala sharks out it wouldn't, but with them in, that's already around 30". As far as I've found, a good rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon.

We have a 46 bowfront and really wanted a few bala's but we decided against it, because a couple years later we'd have to give them away, unless they were the only ones in the tank. As straitjacket said, they really need 100gal tank.

Just my 2 cents, if it means anything

crissy7399 said:
As far as I've found, a good rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish per gallon.
That "rule" may work with fish that max out at about 3". You really can't say the same for fish that grow much larger. 13" of bala just ain't gonna work in a 13gl tank, or a 20, or a 30 or a 50.
The 1" per gallon "rule" is a simple guideline which is quite flawed in fact. Many other factors exist such as exact dimensions (a 20gl long will support more fish than a 20gl tall), number of fish, amount of waste produced by each fish, foods and filtration.

Shaunna

Large Fish
Oct 6, 2005
Ohio
He is eventually upgrading his balas anyway.

edit... Straightjacket, when you said the RTBS, were you referring to the red-tailed black shark? I have heard so many conflicting things about them. I heard they were aggressive and then some say they aren't, I heard some say they don't accept food well and others asay just fine. I had one and I gotta say that he wasn't aggressive in the slightest. He would investigate some of the other inhabitants from time to time but it wasn't anything. He never had a problem eating, either. He actually died due to my lack of experience when I first got my tank and I would actually like to have another. Would you not recommend one? It is a 29 gallon tank.

Last edited:
Yes, I meant red-tail black shark. :eek:
I understand what you mean about the lack of aggression. When I got mine he was tiny, shy, and took a while to come out for food. With time he settled in his aquarium and began to feed more often. He claimed a piece of driftwood which he would hide under and aggression was non-existant. haha! What aggression?
...Until he put on some weight and became territorial of his hiding spot. At that time, that's all it was, territorial aggression. He was simply telling others "don't come around here". After a while though it turned into controlling behavior and attacks on other fish which would wander into his third of the tank (36x16x17"). He was in a tank full of peaceful community type fish at the time though he was better suited for a larger more aggressive type community such as medium sized Central American cichlds, large South Americans or medium sized Africans.
It is characteristic of them to exhibit this territorial behavior but in the presence of another RTBS or other similar looking fish such as SAE's, flying foxes or rainbow sharks a RTBS can dominate and/or kill it's competition.
Since RTBS get to about 6" I don't think a 29gl tank is large enough for one. a 4' tank minimum IMO and 6' min. if you want to keep more than one. *thumbsups

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
Bala sharks are NOT sharks!! They are minows. They named them "shark" because they are more sellable that way. Same with the Red Tail Shark, or the Albino Shark. They are a type of Cat fish, not sharks. The only real sharks are salt water, and the smallest would be a Nurse Shark, but they need at lest 300g to swim around in.

JAWS69 said:
Bala sharks are NOT sharks!! They are minows. They named them "shark" because they are more sellable that way. Same with the Red Tail Shark, or the Albino Shark. They are a type of Cat fish, not sharks. The only real sharks are salt water, and the smallest would be a Nurse Shark, but they need at lest 300g to swim around in.
Red Tail sharks, albino sharks, Rainbow sharks, bala sharks...are Cyprinids. Like barbs and rasboras.

Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
That means the same thing. Here is an incert from a web page with Bala Sharks on them.

Name Origin: “Bala” comes from the first part of their scientific name. “Shark” comes from their high dorsal fin that makes them look like a saltwater shark. Of course, they’re not. Many cyprinids (minnows) with high dorsal fins earn the more sellable name “shark.” The melanopterus in their scientific name means black fins. Some folks call them “silver sharks” due to their basic body color.

And here is the link:
http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Shark, Bala.htm

My emphasis wasn't on the balas. You got that one quite right as minnows are also Cyprinids.

The problem was here:
JAWS69 said:
Same with the Red Tail Shark, or the Albino Shark. They are a type of Cat fish, not sharks.
;)

We're not talking Red Tail catfish or albino catfish. We're talking Labeo bicolor and Labeo frenatus. You must be thinking Phractocephalus hemiolioptrus and some other type of catfish.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2006
enterprisesteaks.com
JAWS69 said:
No, I ment what I said. Here is another link.http://www.aqualandpetsplus.com/Shark, Red-Tail.htm

Red tail sharks and Albino Sharks are also just minnows, they are NOT sharks. I did say they are a type of catfish, and what I was thinking about was this:http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/gpang.html

Perhaps I wasnt clear. What I ment to say was some people think they have a shark, when they really have a catfish or Minnow.
All clear. I think most of us here know what we're dealing with. Obviously not something that is a true shark which is a far cry from the ocean dwelling giants. I think plenty folks here realize a common name when they see one ;) and for those who might not have

straitjacket said:
The term "shark" is relative and superficial. It refers to the dorsal fin carried straight and high much like a true shark, but the term "shark" is also added to the common names of many other fish. Most of which are either cyprinids (barbs, danios, rasboras, carps) and catfish (such as Pangasius sp.) most of which are not particularly aggressive, save for the RTBS ;) .

Last edited: