What would you pick?

Oct 22, 2002
Well I just got a 40 gallon plexi tank and was going to set it up for saltwater,  now this is going to be my first saltwater tank and I guess I have a few questions to help clear up the air some.
 What are the best fish to get that dont require perfection as far as how the water and eco-system should be?
 I was looking into buying a filter called: the Eco system filter from what I have read it does not require a protein skimmer of any kind it looks like a decent setup.
 And most of all what is the typical thing to do to keep the tank running smooth? PH, nitrate, nitrite, and so forth please bare with me I am very new to saltwater.  Thankyou very much for all your time.

Sonofseattle

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well this ecosystem miracle mud is not a new concept but a very interesting filtering system.  I have not used it but I am not going to knock it but people have good results with it.

But let me warn you by saying that it is a denitrification filter which has mud, warms, and caulerpa (plants) to take out the nitrate and at the same time can be found in most current setup which consists of a deep layer of sand bed (6").  Many people have stated that the company is in fact selling mud from somewhere which is rich in nutrients, worms etc.  There is no miracle to it.  

Do realize the contents of miracle mud.  It contains a lot of iron and aluminum which supercharges macroalgae growth and plant growth.  This mud works but are you willing to spend and arm and a leg.
http://www.lars-sebralla.de/ma_miracle.html

You can try the system and get back to us but most people use this current setup:
1.  4-6 inches of deep sand bed (aragonite)
2.  1lb/gallon of live rock
3.  good skimmer

The hardiest fishes have to damsels, clowns, triggers.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
From my exp and my buddys current tank, unless you have some way of moving your bottom few inches around, or get it some O2, you don't want it that deep.

Pleniums are in great variety. A lot of genius ways are out there. Where a deep bed is wanted..but they always had a current of some sort or had  it raised above the glass on pvc pipes and screens.

From what I have encountered, you will add to your nutrients in your water if it is too deep....resulting in algae. I always had a thin layer with some crabs or worms ect. on the bottom.

My friend encountered the same result, so he thinned it out and helped him.

This denitrfication sounds fine, but get a skimmer so it gets rid of the junk before it even becomes a problem(nitrates)...and the de nitrification thing can get rid of the ones that get away.

I would do a fishless cycle first.  

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
For a deep sand bed, you definitely have to buy a detrivore kit which consists of worms, stars, snails, etc. to stir your top layer of sand.  

This dude has a 4000 gallon reef tank and using miracle mud as filtration.  He has no skimmer but with a system that large, he has room for error.
http://www.mr4000.com/