what would happen if I...

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
what would happen if I bred my female betta imbellis to my (well, my little brother's but I bought him and I take care of him so...) male betta together? That would create dragon bettas, correct? Just curious. I think it'd be really amazing to hybridize...

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I don't know too much about hybrids, other than the fact that they can't reproduce. So, if you do breed them, you won't be able to breed the fry. I don't see any harm in trying to breed them as long as you read up on the subject and you have plenty of space for the fry.

By the way, what is the 16 gallon paludarium you mention in your signature?

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Hrm, I believe you can reproduce dragon bettas though? Some hybrids can breed I think. I haven't researched genetics really deeply though so I'm not sure. I might give it a go some time... after I get experience with just plain ol' imbellis breeding.

the paludarium... a paludarium is an aquarium or "aquaterrarium" with a land section. I created the land out of a terra-cotta pot and driftwood. I WILL post pics once I get more plants which should be sometime this week... I might break down and post pics before. It looks kinda bare right now, or at least the aquatic section does. It's gonna house my betta imbellis pair once it's cycled and also some amphibians.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
*probably* [chinese] firebelly newts and adfs, liltank. I know there's possibility of problems but I think it should be fine, I've read way more successful accounts that ones with problems. and of course I have multiple tanks so I can always evacuate the adfs if a problem arises...

And thanks for the link brian! It was super helpful.

Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
Well, ADFs work well with bettas in most cases. The only way they don't work is if you have an overly aggressive little gal or guy. I've been reading up on ADFs a lot since I might upgrade my 5 gallon to a 20 gallon and add a few frogs with my betta and snail. However, ADFs are, from what I've read, entirely aquatic and I've never heard of them going on land.
I love newts/salamanders; I had quite a few when I was a kid.

I saw a picture recently of this lovely paludarium. Someone took natural gravel, piled it high for the land part, and sloped it downward to meet a bed of sand. They scattered some pebbles/gravel here and there to blend the sand and gravel. They filled the sandy part with water and added platies. It was so lovely. There was a lot of java fern in the sand part. I think java fern can live partially out of the water, if I'm not mistaken.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2009
SW Pennsylvania
I found this to be a rather interesting link.

Setting up a Paludarium

I think that the waterfall look is very lovely.

paludarium waterfall - Google Search

I'm so interested that you're building a paludarium. My favourite fish store used to have one with toads. I think I'll look up things for you for a while. Sorry for hijacking your thread. :eek:

Last edited:

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
I am aware ADF's are fully aquatic... thanks so much for your links! Ya know what? I'm going to post pics of my paludarium for you in like 5 minutes despite the fact it has very few plants... hope my camera has charged enough!