What should i have in a 250 gallon tank?

ajfish

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I am about to set up a 250 gallon tank. I was wondering if i could get some opnions on what occupants i should have in the tank. I was shooting for a very active tank, with lots of movement. It will be filtered by two Ehiem Professional 2 cannister filters and an Ehiem internal filter. Your input would be greatly apprecieated. Thanks!

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Well, 250 gallons is a lot of space to fill. Is it going to be planted?  What are your water parameters?  You could have a really cool planted tank in 250 gallons. If I had a 250 gallon tank, I would just fill it with (big!) schools of tetras. There would definitely be color and movement, LOL! I think you could really set up a cool Amazon biotope in that size tank, if it appealed to you.

Jan

Oct 22, 2002
www.oarsa.org
I think biotopes are very cool.  I kinda have a small south american biotope with Blackskirt and Serpae tetras.  The numbers you have would be significantly larger.  If you want to see how I set up my little tank look at my webpage.

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Tetras?????

You SHOULD get a big school of piranhas or at least some big cichlids i mean come on a 250 gallon tank for 1" fish take advantage of the best like structure im annoyed and it aint even my tank

Dangerous

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
he has a 250 gallon tank i dont think he has to worry about to big for his tank you could keep 4-5 piranhas in a 55 galoon so you could probally keep about 14 in his tank its just i dont know the dimensions of it so i couldnt tell ya

Im just saying you could keep tons of tetras in a 20 gallon tank you couldnt keep tons of piranhas in a 20 gallon everyone loves there stupid tetras im gonna by a school of tetras............................and feed them to my texas cichlid,convict,firemouth,green terror LOL

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
Just because you have a big tank doesn't mean you have to get a big mean fish.  That is a typical "bigger is better" American attitude. You are entitled to your opinion, but the rest of us are too. A school of 40-50 tetras would be absolutely breathtaking in a planted tank. That is my opinion, and it has plenty of color and movement.

And you probably don't even know that tetras and piranhas are from the same school of fish.  They are both predators, both have teeth, both  are beautiful. However, you don't have to worry about irrisponsible owners setting tetras loose to wreck havoc on the natural fish and wildlife population when thier fish get too big for thier tank.

Jan

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
well for a LARGE planted tank, I too would go for a large school of tetras... but I would also add 6-8 wild altums if I could get a hold of them.  If not, then Koi angels or any other cool looking angels would do.

If you're up for a challenge, then you can try some discuses...

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
SegaDojo,

I just wondered what altums are? I have never heard of those before.  I am assuming they are compatible with tetras, and I am looking for one more fish species to add to my tank, so would appreciate any info you can give me about these.  If you have a link to something about them, I would love it.

Thanks,

Jan

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
See pics here:

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/?&op=showcase&category=0&vol=1&id=71

which is in fact, my favorite tank in the contest.

It depends one which species of tetras you've got... as long as their not small enough to fit in the angel's mouth, i think it'll be pretty safe.

i haven't had experience with angels cuz my largest tank is a 10g, but i'm sure others would be of more help.

johnc

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
if your going planted, i know the perfect fish that gets to be a decent size, yet remains peaceful, and schools..they are the rainbbowfish from australia, many of which can easily reach 4-5 inches...i kepp then in a 150 gallon planted tank with tetras and angels...red rainbows look excellent, as wella s turqouise and boesmani ( half orange, haldf blue )...i think it would look sharp...i keep them with serpae tetras, lewmon tetras, and rummynose tetras with no problems

Oct 22, 2002
Visit site
I'm baised, but a West African tank with a pair of Polypterus ornatipinnis (ornate bichir) as the central fisgures would be really nice. You could keep larger Ctenopomas withthem to add to the middle of the tank, some butterfly fish for the top, and some synodontus catfish for the bottom (S angelicus would be nice).
Just my thoughts anyway. :)

D

discusaquarium

wellp,
i agree with the south american biotope idea, but i would add a few discus in that kind of tank! with discus you get alot of color and alot of activity in the tank. there are so many kinds to choose from, so basically whatever fits your tastes, you can find...somewhere. that's just my opinion, but with a tank of that size, you should have an attractive centerpiece fish... hmmmhmmm discus. LOL Joe - aka discusaquarium ;D

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
1 ?, Where do you put a tank that big? I am thinking about a 125G tank in my living room but I would have to get rid of my 55 for lack of space and I live in a fairly big house.  Then again my family has a lot of stuff...