What plants?

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
hey all,

i kinda have a mixed tank between tropicals and cold water fish, im after some plants for the tank but i know that goldfish will eat some plants... (my cabomba plant is pretty bald) so what plants can i get that they wont eat?

thanks

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
When I had a goldfish in my tank, they never ate my amazon sword, or my amazon ruffle. Are your plans to keep the cold water and the tropical fish together permanently?

Feb 10, 2011
Annapolis, MD
I am on Ryanoh's team here.. not too keen on keeping the cold and tropicals together.. that's a compromise where everyone's unhappy.. but hey, to each his own and if it's one thing I've learned, there really are no real RULES to go by in this hobby.. just moral codes.

That said..

Swords and Anubias are usually pretty thick and waxy and from what I've read (never tried it and obviously not a fish myself..) taste bad to most fish so they leave them alone. Never had issues with any of my guys eating anything from my cryptocoryne or aponogeton either. But, you pretty much roll the dice regardless of what you do in this hobby so buy live and buy cheap (but do your homework first! Take PetCo and PetsMart DOWN and don't let them sell you mondo grass or other umbrella, ribbon or sword plants that AREN'T fully aquatic...) and see where that takes you.

Good luck man!