what is this color called?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
you know your platy strain could be something that some random breeder was just shooting for when combining black platy and yellows, and when he got a strain pure enough he began to sell them and mass produce...
I do not believe there is a definite name for that color, so you can just name it yourself :D

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
I am still learning too! My tank seems to be an ongoing experiment. Sometimes the fry school like Neons, til they find something interesting, then it's every one for him(her)self!

I still have not found a good, complete, current list of Platy colors. Sigh...

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
The 'chain' LFS get their stock from designated suppliers, so it's almost guaranteed my Platy came from a commercial breeder. I could name the color myself, but it's probably already got a name, and that's what I'd like to know.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Fine if you're so sure that commercial breeders don't experiment with their platy colors v_v
Then maybe yours are either Neon Black Painted Platy, Black-yellow Panther Platy, or Black Calico Platy

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Commercial breeders probably do experiment with their stock, and probably sell the random colors as "mixed Platy". Because there were others just like her, and she has produced offspring in her color too, I had the feeling her color had been standardized. I'll try to find pix of the ones you named. Thanx!