WHAT HAPPENED?im confused!

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Some how my 4 angels just died last nite?They had no signs of diseases? They only thing i can think of is my ram pair being really aggressive and killing them since they have fry? Can some one try to figure this out for me?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Did you remember to dechlorinate your water? Any chance something was contaminated? 82 sounds pretty high for normal...

A nitrite level of more than 0 would be cause for concern...but probably wouldn't kill your fish overnight. You should probably figure out what is causing that.

How big are the rams compared to the angels? They can be pretty aggressive when breeding/fry are involved...but I dont know about taking 4 angels out overnight...

sweetpickles7

Superstar Fish
Feb 13, 2007
Central Illinois
Yea, i know thats where i get lost too is the 4 angels.LWB said that it was a good temp to keep it at because of the rams. But my 12 cherry barbs and my rams with fry not even 2 weeks old are perfectly fine. Two of the angels where about the same size of the rams and 2 were a bit bigger than the rams?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
82 is ok...just a little higher than I'd do it. Mostly because there is less oxygen in the water at a higher temp, even though some fish (esp fry) do well with it. It also speeds up metabolisms etc so problems can get bad faster.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If it were my tank I'd wait a couple of weeks, do some extra water changes and let things settle down before getting any new fish. Just in case there is something that you weren't seeing wrong with things...you don't want to stress the tank out by adding new fish right off the bat after some have died.

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
How long have you had the angels? I've found that when dealing with LFS angels, that it's really a hit or miss with good stock. I've had some that have died quickly for no reason, other live for months, and then die for no reason. Seems though that if you can pass the year mark with them, that the chances of them seemingly killing over for no reason decrease dramatically.