what do you keep with your oscars?

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i just bought a 5inch albino tiger oscar...i'm starting a new 55g cichlid tank and need some ideas...

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
:) I have a pair of convicts...but they're really aggressive...I had them with a few rainbow cichlids...they almost killed them :(

Could i keep a pair of Blue acaras with him? what about some large tiger barbs?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
[glow=color,strength,width]Definitely NO tiger barbs! They will get eaten. Oscars do grow up to 14 inches and a 55 gallon can probably only hold two and that's pushing it. I would suggest some other convicts or firemouths. They do pretty good with oscars.

Ryan ;D[/glow]

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'm only going to have one. I don't want convicts with him either, and i don't like firemouths, i want something thats a little less aggressive, but large enough not to be eaten.
Has anyone kept blue acaras?

Oct 22, 2002
Black Belts seem to bond well with Oscars. I am on my second set of these 2. In my old tank, once my lead fish (an Arawana) jumped to his death.... the Black Belt would protect my Oscar from my Green Terror (though I had to get rid of the Green Terror all the same). I have a couple of Salvanis (SP)this time too... though aggressive, they tend to be smaller and hang out on the bottom. I have a 135 Gal Tank.

Oct 22, 2002
i have kept oscars for many years and have kept everything from fire mouths to a snakehead in a 75 gal tanks. as long as the fish has a pretty good fight in him as well as some size to back it up they should be okay

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
This oscar seems very docile at the moment, i know the albinos are less aggressive, and that they can become agro with age...i just don't want to have other aggressive fish in with him for now. If he turns out to be evil, then i'll find something that equals him :)

(i really want those blue acaras)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well if you REALLY want the acaras then you can try them I guess. But I would ask someone at your lfs first if I were you just to see. Or you could just ask them if it is to bad of a match if you could bring them back.

Ryan ;D

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've spoken to the guys at my lfs, none of them have had any experiance with blue acaras...all have had oscars. Thats why we have a messageboard.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kitten,
IMHO the 55 g is way to small for your oscar, even if he's by himself.  Right now, while he's small, it may work, but in six or seven months he will be twice that size.  A 55 g tank is 12 inches wide, this doesn't even give a full grown 13" oscar room to turn around.  
Oscars are very powerful fish that will easily thrash an aquarium twice the size of your 55. I kept two in a 150 and they were always uprooting my plants, upending my slate mounted driftwood and just causing havoc.  But you know, I really liked those two fish.  They would eat food right from my fingers, get pissed when I was cleaning and attack my hand, or the vacuum, watch tv with me.  No really, I made them some miniature recliners and they would kick back with a shrimp stick and watch Seinfeld.:eek:  They develop great personalities.  
They do need good water maintenance.  They are VERY messy fish and if kept in poor conditions are susceptible to hole in the head disease.
Recommended foods include beef heart, live fish, earthworms and night crawlers, which mine loved!
Oscars are a great fish to keep but I really would suggest keeping him in a larger tank.  Again, JMHO.

sharkbait

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
If you knew all about it, why would you put the Oscar in a 55 g tank?  Evidently when you bought it you didn't know all about it.  If you knew all about it why post a question asking for help?  Maybe somebody else didn't know all about it.  If my advice didn't help you, maybe it helped somebody else.  
I wasn't implying that you didn't know all about it, I was simply offering some advice.  

kitten

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
And thank you for that advice :) It's just an old post...55g is big enough for now, it's the biggest i can afford. When and if i decide to get a larger tank, he will be relocated, but in the meantime, he is doing great :)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well at least when she said it she had a smiling face afterward and not some face like this  >:( or  :( or even this one  :p.

ryan ;D