What do i do!!!! ????

Apr 13, 2011
Hey guys, i recently found out that my white convict cichlids had eggs. The cichlids are with 5 other fish in a 2ft by 1.5ft tank with rocks. The cichlids are constantly pushing the other fish into the other corner of the tank, and are harrasing the other fish. Is this ok? Or will it get worst please help me this is my first time when this has happed. What do i do? kill the eggs i don't know lol. Please help

Thankss

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Sounds like the convicts are trying to run the other fish from the territory they are trying to establish around their eggs. The tank is not big enough for them to run the other fish far enough away. This conflict will almost certainly continue while the eggs are present and may get worse if fry hatch out. Perhaps you can find a place to put the other fish. Some members have posted success using plastic tubs as holding tanks ( Rubbermaid was mentioned i believe). If you happen to have a sponge filter in operation the move of fish to a holding tank can be quick.

Tooj

Medium Fish
Apr 9, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
a friend of mine had breeding convicts in a 10 gallon. he used a clay pot as a cave where the convicts would be able to easily defend the eggs. he said that the parents rarely left the cave. im assuming that the convicts' territory was broken up by the clay pots. if its a bear tank that you have, maybe some sort of decor to make territorial boundries would help?

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2009
You would be best served to get rid of one of the convict's. This will be a re-occuring theme each time they spawn and soon you will have way too many convict's.IMHO

nanu156

Large Fish
Mar 8, 2010
Detroit, Mi
you remove the eggs. You don't really want convict fry. There will be anywhere from 50-200 of them and you will have a hard time even giving them away as feeder fish. They will then spawn for you monthly. They are the most prolific breeders in the cichlid world. I would rehome one convict so you don't have any fish deaths, your talk is about to become a prison yard where it's kill or be killed.

If you simply can't part with a fish you can divide the tank into two with a piece of grate used for fluorescent lights. one convict on each side. The female still may lay eggs and the male may still go nuts...