what critters to buy from ipsf.com?

arcab4

The Big Fish
The Big Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sunny Southern California
since i got the majority of my setup questions taken care of (thanks!), my next question is regarding seeding my DSB. i've already read thro the archives at reefcentral about the differences between ipsf.com and inlandaquatics.com and i think i'll go with ipsf.com first..and then inlandaquatics.com later to diversify my dsb.

i was looking at their 9 for $99 deal. i get to choose 9 items from their list. so far, this is what i'm considering...what would you choose?

1. reef amphipods
2. reefworms
3. live sand activator
4. trocus grazers
5. turbo grazers
6. strombus grazers
7. sandbed clams
8. tang heaven (nutrient export and to feed my friend's tangs)
9. coralline booster

basically every critter on their list i'm hoping to buy. the other stuff i hope to just help mature the tank faster. i didn't know about their macroalgae package because i was hoping to stay away from macroalgaes that'll "melt" (so i'm looking for the spagetti-type ones instead).

so in the meantime, i wanted to get the tang heaven. i read u can use it as a type of nutrient export and to pay back mybuddy who's housing all my stuff, i wanted to grow more of it and give it to him to feed his tangs.

oh yeah. they also have the option to "supersize" my order. by paying $1995 more, i get to choose either 6 more trocus grazers, 6 ministars or 6 more sandbed clams. which ones would be more beneficial.

and FINALLY, when could i add these critters into my tank? after it cycles? or whenever?

what do you thinK?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Sorry can't help you with this one because I got half of my sand seeded from some guy I bought 50 lbs of sand from.  He had seeded it twice with IPSF and there was a lot of life.  I think I made the mistake of placing a peppermint shrimp in my refugium and it ate most of my bristleworms and the pod population is decreased a lot.
Whatever you choose, I would place it after the cycling is done because it cost too much to replace it anyways if the critters died because of high ammonia/nitrate.  Concerning the melting part, I have my refugium on a 24/7 cycle of lighting and it hasn't melted yet.  It appears that it was a common practice to run it 24/7 to prevent this although you probably get more growth in a reverse daylight cycle.
Don't buy any hermit crabs for algae eating until you have abundant snails because those hermit crabs will kill them to take them out of their shells.  I bought some margarita snails at Jeff's exotic for $12 for 25 of them and some nassarius snails which stirs up the sand bed.