what about the banjo..........

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Has anybody ever heard of banjo catfish? I would like to buy one or two from my lfs. But, had no idea how to care for it. So i didn't buy them  >:( So any onfo on the fish would be great.

D

discusaquarium

[glow=Navy,strength,width]i dont know much about them, i do know that they prefer acidic water. they can get rather large depending on the genus also. they come from the blackwater streams in the Amazon, and they prefer as i said the acidic water, and a low GH. i have also heard that the banjo catfish shed their skin and can be bad enough to clog a filter. as for food i dont know, i hope i could help.  ;D
Joe[/glow]

Banjo's shedding their skin?
Sorry Joe they do not shed their skin, they are closely related to the Loricaria family.
Peaceful, nocturnal, and will burrow into the substrate by day.
They prefer low light and a diet of live and dried foods.
A very good catfish to own, not bred in captivity, therefore all the specimens you see are wild caught. 8)

D

discusaquarium

or not, lol. i read that on a website somewhere too! oh well, it was worth a shot. MY BAD lol... now that website is going to get a piece of my mind --- hmm where did i find that?  :p
Joe

D

discusaquarium

http://www.seremban.net/fishcorner/fc140898.htm  -

Fish Chat 14/08/98 -- Exotic Catfish Series (Part I) - Banjo Catfish - This is not a pretty fish, however its leaf-like camouflage gives it an appearance appealing to aquarists looking for something a bit out of the ordinary. Aside from its rugged skin (which, incidentally, it periodically sheds like a snake) - hmmmmm...... lol

D

discusaquarium

Thats really interesting, i could have sworn i read that somewhere and now i know why it does it too! Thanks for that cool site tim. 8)
Joe

Oct 22, 2002
hey fishboy..try waiting until your lfs gets in some raphaels..they are a real close relative of the banjo just better looking..black and white stripped but they love to hide like banjo's, but at
least when you do see them there really cool looking!! my was cheap, hardy and ate anything..had him for about three years..lost him when i let my water quality get reeaal bad..

SegaDojo

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
www.intergate.ca
I've kept them before... not sure what is the ideal water parameters but i've kept thim in soft, neutral-acidic water...

Yes, they DO shed their skin.... and their quite the ugly fish..

They like to hide in the gravel, so some small-sized substrate would be best.  I don't think you'll find any problems finding food for the fish.. their quite greedy when it comes to food.. Mine would eat sinking wafers and frozen bloodworms.