What a ham!

Status
Not open for further replies.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Do all bettas have so much personality? I am amazed by this little fish. When we first got him, no, I should say, when my hubby first got him, I thought he was certainly pretty, but that's about it. He was placed in a 10g that I have that has mostly older tetras. Well, they took a liking to his fins so I had to give him his own 5g tank. The tank sits on the counter between the kitchen and dining room, which is rather nice since I can watch him while I'm doing dishes and we can watch him while eating dinner. Anyway, he is such a curious fish, so much so that we ended up calling him Lookey Lou. He paces around his little tank like he's the king of the castle, every so often stopping to flare his fins, waiting to be admired. At feeding time he gets very excited then goes underneath one of the plant leaves waiting to be fed. I have to motion to him to come out, which he does, then I can give him the betta bites that he so loves. Fearless little thing too. Doesn't matter one little bit if you put your finger up to the tank, he won't run or be startled at all. In fact, there is a good chance that he will flare in response (does he really think my finger is another betta?), or at least show off a little......
Tell me about your betta and some of his antics! I can't believe that so much personality can be in such a small package!!!

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
Betas are agressive and confrontive creatures. I've had a beta in a tank sitting on my coffee table before, whenever anyone sat down in front of it, he would flare and get ready for attack.

Very common :)

Mar 11, 2003
Bettas (two T's AdamJ) are VERy charismatic! They are such, as you say, hams. You can place a mirror by their tank for 10 minutes a day to make them flare, infact flaring for 10-15 minutes is actually healthy for your betta. But no more than that or it might stress them out. They also like to jump, I have lost almost three fish from jumping, 2 died, one I picked up right away, but these were all females. None of my males have ever jumped out, although it is rare to have ANY gender that won't take the plunge of doom. My suggestion, if you don't have a lid...GET ONE!

Alexa

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
If you'd like to get technical ms gems, its Betta splendens or maybe you refer to Betta Plakatthai.

and yes they like to jump, they come from shallow water areas in asia. And i dont think sticking a mirror in with them is healthy. That ranges on the level of abuse, but thats just my opinion. ;)

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2003
I have 5 bettas (used to have 8, but 3 died of old age) so, of course I know they are called Betta Splendens! The wild bettas, who are not domesticated are the Plakats (betta plakatthai), and they have the shorter fins. I would not correct you if I didn't know their real name! And I MUST disagree! Bettas do NOT live in shallow waters. MANY people believe rice paddies are these small ponds, but infact they are HUGE! Bettas DO jump from puddle to puddle to get to different areas of the paddies, they may even spawn there, but they definately do not live there.

About flaring. Mirrors are healthy for the bettas, it is a form of exercise. You don't stick the mirror in the tank, you place it out side the tank. Like I said, too much can be stressful and cause ripping of their fins. There should be plants in the tank for the betta to hide in if he wants to get away from the mirror.

Mar 11, 2003
What the? Increase my post numbers? I don't care (obvisouly) how many posts I make, as long as each one gives good advice. I suggest you stop posting just to increase your numbers, because you seem to be giving out BAD opinions and facts. I'd like to know your expirience with bettas. Its not abuse, would you like a 2nd, 3rd, 20th opinion on it? I can rig up something.

adamj

Large Fish
Feb 21, 2003
Visit site
lol children these days...
i've bred "BETTAS" for years. and many othey labyrinths.

thats not any concern however.

i dont even care about the fact that that you actualy took the time to correct me. humurous.

i do care about fish abuse just to get a rise out of them. its similar to a dog or rooster fight. to this day, people still buy betas, oops i forgot a T sorry, to throw in together and fight. these betas arent bred to fight to begin with, their fin mass it too great for them to show too much of an effort in agression. its sad that you find enjoyment through another creatures stress.

and the only bad facts here are the ones spewing from your young childish mind. the only thing you can rig up, little lady, is your mouth.

Thanks for the fun, i guess you're getting enjoyment out of this as well.

Mar 11, 2003
Then you should learn to spell it right. Did I say anything about fighting bettas? NO! I am actually doing a report on pet store cruelty to bettas. Young childish mind? Now thats what I find humorous.

Alexa

BTW- Sorry to correct you...AGAIN...but you spelt humorous wrong ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.