Was it tempered? Caution, grown man crying

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
So, I got half way through and then "Crash" followed by many obscenities. Was it tempered or did i put too much pressure on it? I would imagine it is my fault as I tried to change positions I may have pushed a bit on the drill. Could I buy another piece of glass and replace the broken pane? I can't believe this, I stopped several times and checked progress and was going slowly and surely. I figured if it was tempered it would've broke sooner, but the pressure I did put on the drill was minimal. Lemme know what you think.

Edit: Is tempered lighter then non? I have/had two identical volume(lxwxh) but the broken one was much lighter.

Attachments

Last edited:

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
looks like you and zoalover have had the same problem. makes me wonder if there is a tool, of some sort, out there that can tell you if glass is tempered or not.

i would think it might just be easier to get another tank. the piece of glass itself is going to be expensive since you have to buy it by the full piece. i think a 4x4 piece cost me around $70 to $80 before i had it cut. not to mention the work you have to do to get everything apart and hope more don't break, chip or crack.

Mar 18, 2009
You are using diamond bits to drill the glass right?

its tempered. tempered shatters just like that, non tempered shatters in chunks and shards not small pieces. I do believe ALL aquarium glass is tempered due to its strength compared to pane glass.