UV or Atinic Lights

Jdee

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2011
Hi Guys,

Im thinking of getting a new light for my 54l tank. It will be extra to the current normal light I have now. I want something that will make the colours stand out and add that reefy purpley glow.

Any ideas? Preferably cheap and cheerful.

Halogen or LED. Not sure they can do UV or atinic in LED though. Let me know.

Pix would help too.

Thanks,

joe

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Is this a reef tank or a freshwater tank? What lighting do you currently have?

If you're not growing corals, then an actinic bulb will give you a bluish light and you could just swap out the bulb in a regular fixture.

If you are growing corals, then there are a lot more things to consider than just how the color looks.

Jdee

Small Fish
Jan 6, 2011
Is this a reef tank or a freshwater tank? What lighting do you currently have?

If you're not growing corals, then an actinic bulb will give you a bluish light and you could just swap out the bulb in a regular fixture.

If you are growing corals, then there are a lot more things to consider than just how the color looks.
Hi Lotus,

Its just a freshwater. I have plants in there so would like to keep the current light. I also have an TMC AquaRED LED strip.

Im going for looks rather than necessity so that why I want cheap.

Thanks.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
The last couple of years I have bought left over led christmas lights at Big lots. They have strings of blue and white LED bulbs. I have not bought, but they may have multi colored as well. I can not think of how to fit them in a hood just now, but they are cheap (50% to 75% off).
I use them as accent lighting around the house.