Trimming down a sponge filter?

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Hello everyone,

I ordered my first sponge filter a couple of weeks ago and finally received it today; I was aware it would be taller than what I am accustomed to but was completely taken aback by its width. I'm setting up a 30 litre aquarium that requires a sponge filter and the one I now own is simply too large.

I'm wondering if it would be safe to cut down the sponge to a more appropriate size; I don't want to impair the efficiency of it and will buy a smaller one if I have to but I would like to see if I can make use of what I currently have.

I have all the required bits and pieces to get the filter working (the air pump, valves, tubing etc) but am at a loss as to what to do because of the sponge filter's size. Is it safe to cut it down? Would it make it less efficient?

I'm also concerned because my tank is on the lower end of the list size-wise. I'm aware that some box filters can be too powerful for an aquarium and am wondering if the same applies to sponge filters. I don't want to find that (if it is safe to do so) I cut the sponge down, get it just right and find it too powerful for my aquarium - this thing was clearly designed to be a particular size and I do not want to find I do more harm than good.

I've done endless amounts of research regarding sponge filters but have come up empty handed when looking for information regarding cutting the sponge down. I did a search on the forums and apologize profusely if this has been discussed before but my search did not show anything of use.

Thank you for your time.

Feb 27, 2009
Cutting to get smaller heights works fine. If you are looking to cut down the diameter of the sponge, it can be done with no change in the filter's function. However, shaving down the diameter may cause the sponge to deteriorate more quickly. Sort of like cutting fabric and because you lost the finished edge, it can fray more quickly.

For my 5gallon nano tanks, I've used the Hydro-0 or Hydro-II. They are the same diameter, but the II is taller.

Sponge Filters

Last edited:

Grey

Small Fish
Oct 11, 2011
England
Thank you both for the responses; I'm glad to know I can use what I purchased. I'll take a look at the link you posted, OrangeCones! Thanks again!