Totally new to this and need you to basically hold my hand and walk me through it

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
a 5 is tooooo small for a clown, i see it all the time in the lfs myself, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should

as far as starting a nano, i wish you much luck and success...though mostly success b/c one should not rely on luck ;)

as instructed above, do your reading and dont skimp on the quality of your equipment

K

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Being cynical I really distrust inshop nanos as basically they have a large system to use as a 'parachute' - anything goes wrong , whoosh 100% water change or **** the fish.
Clown kid has made a great move going from a 10 to a 20 - he doesn't really realise it yet, but when it comes to syocking time he will.
CLown kid - how are you doing. Start by getting the water in the tank, and mix up the salt. Test your hardware. Get the liverock in , and I'd buy rock preferentially over sand. Get testing. You may, or may not, depending on how far it travels ,and what shape it's in, see an ammonia spike, or you might be instantly cycled. Let it settle, the naquascape and then add the sand.
Done the recommended reading yet? What are the dimensions of a regular 20?
Don't forget for water changes you'll be best served by 2 simialr sized 4 or 5 gallon buckets plus you'll need a heater and powerhead (unless it's real warm in your house). Make the water in one, and syphon into the other.

Chriss

New Fish
Jun 13, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Originally posted by 1979camaro
a 5 is tooooo small for a clown, i see it all the time in the lfs myself, but just because it can be done doesn't mean it should
I thought it was a little small myself. I have been doing some online research at nano-reef.com and elsewhere. I haven't seen anything below a 10 there that I thought was feasible, but some of the 10 and 15 gallon setups look impressive. I'm not sure I would go with clowns anyway (I'd like something a little less common.) I really like the looks of firefish and am researching them at the moment. Right now I'm in the early stages of discovering nano reefs. Thanks for the input. ;)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Tank
Water
Salt - don't go bonkers and buy 200 gals cause it's cheap
Hood with lighting if you don't have one
Sand
Live rock - as required
Heater
2 Powerheads - or whatever.
Test kits. Ammonia, nitrate, pH, kH
Hydrometer.

There are any number of possible permutations of the above depending on what tank kit you get, and your local options for heating and water movement, i.e. it would be nice to use a combined heater powerhead and a cannister filter. Whatever.

Get on with it.

styxx1

Large Fish
Jul 1, 2003
Baton Rouge, LA
Visit site
lol...i thought that was "f" the fish too!! I agree, you guys are great! Thanks for being here and helping...some might not say it, but I'll be the first and say I APPRECIATE everything you've done and suggested along the way!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
You want to give advice yet you have three damsels in a ten gallon aquarium? Although you say you have had no problems I believe you are experiencing them right now. What is the Nitrate level in the aquarium? How are you keeping the Ph up at night with 3 fish? I would rethink your setup before giving advice to other people.

Sam Reef