Torqouise Severums?

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
What do you guys think is the minimum tank size for a pair of turqouise severums? I want to get a male and female. Thanks. ;D

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Great Choice of fish Ryan. I Love these fish

But, anyway
Definately either a 55 or something like
a........30  ;D But, remeber that would be almost the only thing in there, because the severum is a semiaggressive fish with the body being large as the male can get up too a foot and the fem up to 9 inches. So you are going to want a large tank for the pair as they mature.But, a little about the tankmates they should be little at any.The best fish would be  a Festivium or 2. As i mentiopned above that they are semiaggressive fish leaning to agressive fish. But, a little about on how the envoirment. THe tank should be actually heavily Planted with just a few rocks and hopefully the fish do not dig up.Well, on breeding this fish the male is very aggressive at spawning time so you would want to take out any other tankmates for that. THe femle can lay up to 1000 egg soo don't be surprised if alot die or else you are not going to like on how you are gonna get rid of these fish. Well, did i cover everything if i didn't just tell me and i will give you the info on the Severum fish.Hope the Best  ;D

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Well the sign at the lfs said that it was a max size of 8 inches. I was thinking maybe a 55 gallon or so. Is that okay? Remeber I'm talking about turqoise severums not just regual ones. I didn't want any tank mates for them. I saw a pair at one of my lfs's that was breeding and they had them in a big tank and they were full grown and they were about 8 inches long. Do you think a 40 would be to small? Thanks. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
green and turquiose = same thing...generally green/banded when young and more turquiose when older..but I don't know about a planted tank though..mine luvs to "re-decorate" my fake plants
that i try and secure with rocks..still doesn't slow 'em down..but good luck, i'd go with a 55 if you could afford it(thats generally the best rule of thumb..go with the biggest tank you can afford cuz you'll always want to add to it)

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
Yes, i do agree quite abit  8) The severums will dig up plats that are not pushed in the substrate   hard enough so that is the reason that you will need quite a bit of substrate 8)

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Lots of substrate is not a problem I like it thick like that. Yeah I don't know about the real plants either. I will have to do some more reading on them. I don't have much time right now though to do it. Thanks for the advice though. ;D