Top Fin Tanks

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
So, I recently made the leap and got into keeping freshwater fish. I originally bought a marineland 20g kit, but quickly swapped it out for a 37g Topfin kit. I've learned a lot about filters and equipment since then, and while I wouldn't necessarily buy a kit again, I do very much love my tank. It's dimensions fit perfectly on my sturdy dresser, and the view is just so blissfully peaceful.

Here's my concern.

My brother pointed out a handful of negative reviews about the product. The cheap hood (I don't mind it), the underpowered filter (I learned all about that and will be replacing it with a more powerful one), etc. The only complaint that he saw that worries me to no end is... the random nightmarish bursting of the aquarium. Apparently, this is a thing that has happened to some people, and the worst part is there is no clear indication as to why.

I'm now terrified. But... I also just love this tank. After switching my fish over to the 37g they were stressed, and I just don't want to switch them over yet again needlessly. I guess I'm just looking for other people's experiences, and some reassurance. I mean, from what I understand, the Topfin aquariums are made by Marineland, and I always assumed Marineland was a fairly reputable brand? I don't know. I suppose I should have done this research prior. To be honest, I was just excited about giving my fish a bigger home.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
The most important thing is to make sure that the tank is level, especially a taller tank like the 37g. Most times, if a tank has an issue it is due to the stand or floor not being level, and then that places extra stress on the silicon seams. Which aren't meant to handle that stress. Make sure to check it sideways as well as front to back. Especially true as yours is on a dresser vs. a stand. Typically if the bottom glass pane breaks randomly, it is due to one of the corners not being level with the other three and it placing torque across the bottom glass. IE, if the tank was "wiggly" (like a table with one leg a tiny bit shorter) when you put it there empty, but once you added water it is now "sturdy", this is a problem for the bottom glass and you'll want to address it.

The other thing you can check is to see if the glass is bowed out at all. A tiny bit of bowing is okay, but more than that could be a problem. You should be able to see this by putting a straight edge / yard stick along the front of the tank and seeing if both ends are touching the glass. I imagine that increase over time in bowing is also probably not a good thing.

How long have you had the 37g set up?

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
I don't actually own a leveler, but I can grab one tomorrow from a hardware store if that would still work to check. I saw about this in the forum replies to people's tanks that burst, and I eyeballed the water in my own tank. I noticed it looked level but I suppose any minor tilt wouldn't be super obvious that way? The dresser it's on is thick and sturdy, and has full contact with the floor on the base. Since it's pretty heavy itself, I don't feel that would be wobbly in particular. I don't know precisely about the tank itself via a precise bubble level. I would have to check once I get one.

I checked for bowing and didn't see any.

I've had the tank almost a week now. I felt like it would have burst already with some 33-35 gallons of water in there for more than a day, if there were some kind of minute weakness or flaw. However, I read by some people on here that had the experience of it "spontaneously bursting" months after. That just seems so bizarre to me. And some stories mention it being the case even with stands purchased solely and specifically made for the aquarium.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Usually a "spontaneous burst" is due to it being unlevel. And thus straining either the bottom pane of glass or the silicone seams. A tank can still not be level even on an aquarium stand - if the floor is not level, if it is half on carpet, if it has little legs that aren't 100% even, etc.

Keep an eye on the dresser over time too- that's probably about 400lbs sitting on it. I had a coffee table holding a 10g tank for a long time, and it took some time but eventually the wood started to split across the bottom shelf - it just wasn't built to hold that weight forever, and the legs weren't built right under the supports to the top. Depends on how it is constructed (how the top is supported all the way to the floor). Just something to be aware of long term, to watch for stresses to the dresser from ongoing weight.

I believe FreshyFresh had a tank that had an issue when it was newish, hopefully he'll chime in.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Moo, I wouldn't worry about the tank itself. Like you say, TopFin tanks are Perfecto/Marineland products. I like 37's. Same great footprint as 20 longs, yet super high. Plus they have a center brace that makes them very strong tanks. No worries! Like Caps suggested, just make sure to keep it on a stand intended for a 37, not only for the weight, but so the full perimeter of the tank is supported evenly.

Caps, YES, good memory! I did have a TopFin 29g spontaneously crack diagonally across the back. Luckily I was home for damage control. This tank was setup on a TopFin 20L/29/37 gallon "wood" stand, was level and evenly supported. This particular failure was extremely puzzling to me, but this 29g did bow a bit. From there I setup a 20L on that same stand, in that same spot. Ran with that for 1.5yrs or so and currently have another Perfecto 29g set there. Oddly enough, this Perfecto doesn't bow as much, and it was a $1/gal Petco purchase, under the "Tetra" name brand.

I also have a $1/gal Tetra/Perfecto 55g and the glass is much thinner than my Aqueon 55g. The Aqueon also has more substantial top/bottom frames.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
Thank you for the replies. Freshy, your story was actually one I read, and the reason I thought to make an account and ask here. ^_^ I haven't managed to purchase a leveler yet. Looking at it, I don't see any bowing (that's good!). As far as the stand, the dresser is very thick and sturdy. It has full base contact with a solid wood floor. The only reason I could imagine it would be unlevel is if the foundation or house floor wasn't level... and I'm not sure what I would do if that was the case. Either way, I'll know Monday when I can stop by and snag a leveler (would be good to have one). Thank you so much for the reassurance. I'm trying to not stress over my fish (which I've been doing since I got them). When I switched them to the larger 37g, I think it was just way too much for them. I had a breakout of a fungal infection (not ich). I lost two of them, but managed to save the rest. They are looking significantly better now, and all very excited come mealtime. I have been learning a lot. That is for sure. I suppose that bowing is something I should really educate myself on. It's not something I even thought about until CAPS mentioned it.

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
Main thing is that you keep an eye on your water parameters and that you know your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings in PPM. Hopefully your tank produces nothing but nitrates and you're keeping them <20ppm with your weekly water changes.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
another thing to watch for is sand or rocks under deco. I had a decently sized piece of driftwood attached to a slab of marble in a 10 gallon. there was a rock under it and a few months later the bottom of the tank cracked. i only know this rock broke the glass cause of the spidering radiating away from this rock when i lifted the wood. so definatly watch for anything like that. I cut pieces of plexi the size of the bottom of the tank and silicone them in now to protect the glass.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
Hey all. Sorry, been awhile. I just wanted to make sure I got the chance to thank you all for your time and responses. All appears well (so far!) with my 37 gallon tropical community. I had to do some fish swapping until I, and my tank inhabitants, were all happy. That being said, my tank rose back to health after the initial rapid tank switch. I will never, ever, put fish through that again, even if it means a larger home. It was far too stressful for us both. With all I've learned, the stress is finally at a low and the health is at a high. I've been watching my parameters like a hawk, wringing my fingers with worry as I recycle it post medicating. I purchased some bacteria cultures and hope that this jump starts it and prevents any ammonia instability induced losses. I have been picking brains and learning so much, and it couldn't be more thrilling. In the process, I took in a recently homeless dwarf pea puffer (he is in his own little tank), as well as some very young cichlids in another tank. On that note, I'm crossing my fingers that they won't become monsters before I can move them back down to my home. (I'm currently in school, but move back and fully intend to bring my fish. Believe me, I've looked up the stories and advice and I am more than down for it).

Again, thank you so much.

[Edit: I don't mean by swapping them to a larger home is something I'll never do. I'll have to with the tiny juvenile cichlids when they are older. I'll simply make sure I actually have an established tank ready somewhere before I do it. Not a quick swap like I did, thus stressing my poor fish to illness).

Last edited:

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
So today I finally managed to remember to get a level after class. The bubble is between the lines, but it is slightly more to the right than the left. In any of your experiences, is this something I should be brutally concerned about? Enough to empty the tank, bag the fish, and find a solution for? Or is it pretty normal and don't worry...?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Should be fine if it's between the lines. Honestly, I can see a visible difference in the water level from one end of my tank to the other. Though that is not such a tall tank.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
Actually, I don't see that with my 37 gallon. Everything looks pretty level.

On the other hand, I recently purchased a 50 gallon tank used with the stand. The stand appears to be wrought iron or something, and the girl I bought it from seemed earnest when she said the stand was purchased for and with the tank. The tank fits on pretty securely. As far as the level goes, the bubbles are between the lines when placed on all parts of the tank, though not perfectly center. However, like you described with your tank, the water is visibly UNlevel. I must have developed a nervousness because I can't stop peeking at it and expecting a glass frame to come popping off its silicone. :|

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
I was going to edit to add these, but couldn't find the feature. Did it once but can't again. Here are some photos of my concerns, along with the setup.

20150415_004037.jpg 20150415_004045.jpg 20150415_004111.jpg 20150415_004132.jpg

EDIT: Showing the stand

AA Fish Tank Level Stand.jpg

Last edited:

FreshyFresh

Superstar Fish
Jan 11, 2013
East Aurora, NY
That's much too off-level for my liking. Not only does it make for more of a tipping hazard, it will stress the tank seals, etc. Metal stands are easy to level with furniture leg cups. I use metal ones under the feet of my metal stand that holds two tanks. I've got a 75g on top and a 55g on the bottom. It's like 1300lbs total.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
I have such a lack of experience so it's hard for me to have an opinion. I just have to go off your guys'! Furniture cups.. I never thought of that. Right now I'm leaving the tank without anything in it but treated water till I decide what I'm going to do. It was kind of odd setting up, because the tank wasn't level without water, but with a little bit of water in it it leveled out. So I'm not sure how I'd figure emptying it, then leveling it, then refilling it.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Is it on carpet? Once you started filling it, the weight pressed the carpet down so the stand legs are more level.

I think front to back on the new tank looks sketchy level-ness-wise, but side to side is probably fine. I would definitely try to even out at least the front to back issue. Though on that type of stand, with a totally empty tank like that, it's probably easy enough to level out the side-to-side direction that it would be worthwhile to do so.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
i emptied the tank down to about an inch of water (so that is has some weight), and got some felt pads I'm trying to cut and fit under it on the back side. This way I can solve the front to back level. It's actually on hardwood, so I'm not sure why it's having this issue.

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
Okay. More pictures. I tried leveling it out with little felt squares I cut; the ones that are for sliding furniture so they're pretty study. I didn't get an ideal result, so then I went on a re-arranging spree. Because of my chinchilla, this ended up being the least obtrusive spot. It's not leaning all the way up on the bed. In fact, it is essentially standing on its own. I hope that this isn't a monstrously terrible idea. The flow of the room is nice with it here, especially the ability to view it from two different sides freely. I took pictures of the level tool on each side as well as perspectives of the water level. It's not perfect, but its no where near what it was before.

Thank you for all of your opinions and experience so far, and I love to hear what you think about this set up.

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 9.jpg

Last edited:

Moo

Small Fish
Apr 2, 2015
I know it's a bizarre place... but it seemed to work out best. This is the only room I have to work with, and I don't get rid of pets for new pets, lol. So, Chiyo (my chinchilla) got to stay where she is, though it was the PERFECT place for this tank. And actually, after I posted these photos, I grabbed a bucket and emptied it AGAIN so I could lift the entire right hand side. So it is significantly more level when looking at it from the front. I realized I had my level backwards. Was trying to figure out why the bubble was dead center when the water was horribly uneven. I cut up felt strips and stacked them under the feet of the right. Hopefully this holds well.

EDIT: Do you think the tank placement is a really bad idea? I jumped on the bed to test any bad affect and it doesn't affect the tank at all. I have to do hops on the wood floor around the tank to affect the water at all. Other than that, it seems fairly stable.