Too many males?

Feb 16, 2010
Nottingham
Hi,
Am new to the forum so first off i'll start with a hi.

I recently got 12 platys and by my observations i have about 1 female to every 3 males, is this a bad thing, should i get some more females to balance out the numbers.?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Hello and Welcome to the forums!

It seems that you should have the opposite ratio of 1 male to every 3 females.
one way is to replace some of your males with females
another way is to add just females like you said.
if you decide to add just make sure you're not overloading your tank.
Best of luck, I'm sure that many platies certainly color up your aquarium :D

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Hi, I'm fairly new here too, but welcome to the forum! I have Platys too, and my suggestion would be to get new homes for the excess males. Being Platys, you'll soon have new 'homegrown' fish to deal with, if the fry have enough good hiding places.
If you have that many males they will start picking on each other, unless you have a big tank, with lots of room for everyone. Just the same, a good ratio is 3-6 females per male, never with males outnumbering females. Will we get to see pix of them?

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
To add to what fiddlybits said, not only will the males start fighting over the females, but your females will be REALLY harrassed and stressed and it's possible they could be mated to death (I've never actually seen it, but I've heard of it in several different forums). Also, regardless of removing the males, you'll have fry. The only way to guarantee absolutely no fry is to start with virgin females (which are pretty much impossible to buy in local pet stores or chain stores because even if they keep their males and females separated, the breeders usually don't).

fiddlybits

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2010
BC, Canada
Petshop female live-bearers are often pregnant before they are purchased, and I think some are even pregnant before the breeder is sure which ones are the boys.

If you have only females, they'll run out of stored sperm eventually and then there should be no more babies..... unless one of the females changes sex. I've heard it happens sometimes in single-sex populations of fish, but I don't know if it happens to Platys.

But what's wrong with letting them breed? It's part of the fun of having live-bearers.

Hayer-- about your avatar, is that a Persian Puffer?

Feb 16, 2010
Nottingham
Hi again,
ive got a 95 ltr tank in answer to hayer, i will try to get some pics up when i find the lead that goes to my camera.
My local fish store takes in unwanted fish so i might take some males over and replce with some females, or im going to see if i have more room for some females, hands are a bit tiesd up with finding a way to stop one of my snails escaping.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
upon checking your stocking in that size tank (a 25 gal?) you're overstocked as of now so do not get more fish. if anything you should get rid of one male and not replace him. then go about replacing your other males ;)

Feb 16, 2010
Nottingham
Then those apparent experts at my fish store are wrong,:eek:.

what signs would i get that the tank is over stocked:confused:

Non of the fish go up for air, so there must be plenty as provivded by my filter and air pump, plus i have 7 large plants in there and two moss balls, so that removes nitrates. P.H levels are fine so i cant really see a problem, please help

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2010
Nottingham
I've benn doing some research and ive found that the most common signs that might point to an overstocked tank are:

Fish are aggressive.
Nipped fins or split fins.
Disease seems a constant factor.
Maintenance is required more than 1-2 times a month.
Nitrates keep rising even with 25-30% monthly water changes.

Yet there is none of this in my tank:confused: are you sure im overstocked?:confused:

hayer

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2009
lol. it is a persian kitten. isn't it funny looking?! anyway, you should give up some your males until you have a 1:3 male-female ratio. i also agree that you are overstocked.

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
not always. sometimes they just kick the bucket with no signs (they might give subtle ones but you may not notice anything)

always better to be more understocked than slightly overstocked.

Feb 27, 2009
I do agree and will give up some of the males, but surely the fish themselves would be showing some signs of overcrowding, i.e. gasping for air at the top or bottom etc would they not?
I 2nd the earlier opinion to get a test kit and monitor your water quality. 'Gasping' for air is not the only sign of poor conditions. How long has the tank been established and is it cycled? Fish can suffer in silence while ammonia and nitrite are causing permanent damage.

With just a little bit of patience and listening to those that have no ulterior motive in give out advice, things can work out great for happy/healthy fish.

*BOUNCINGS

Last edited: