time to build a hood for the 90G

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Well I have pretty much completed the stand, http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/do-yourself/54692-finally-started-90g-stand.html , now it is time to build the hood.

I have a couple options that I wanted opinions on.

I am thinking of using leftover 11/32" plywood for the top..or should I just buy another 3/4" thick piece and go with that?

What kind of lighting should I use..I want the tank to be planted..I have done household wiring before so no worries there, just need to know what I should go with.

How tall would you recommend for a hood, I am planning on using 2x4 for the the frame so this gives me 3in height (ever wonder why a 2x4 isnt 2x4). It will have to be tall enough to keep lighting and electrical at a safe height from the water..lighting will also be protected by plexiglass to keep any from falling into the tank if there is an accidental breakage, and keep water from splashing electrical components..

i guess I should add that this is going to be a native tank..planning on green sunfish/bluegill..some crays and maybe some madtoms or scupilin or bullheads. H ave to wait for NANFA members to give me some stocking info.

Last edited:

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
With a 2x4 frame the 11/32 should be more than fine. 3/4 and you wouldn't need the frame though... Sorry, I guess that's not much help ;).

Is money and object so far as lighting lol? 2 x 400watt HQI's on electronic ballasts... Oh wait, that's what I want. Um... 2x 54 watt T5HO's should be WAY more than enough and you might even need floating plants to help make the fish comfortable. I don't know though, I really don't know enough about their natural habitat to say for sure.

So far as hight, that would really depend on how you plan on getting in the tank. For front opening, tall enough you can comfortably work in it. If you go with a piano hinge style as short as possible for better light.

The reason 2x4's are smaller than 2x4 is because of finishing. If you got rough cut lumber it would be a lot closer to nominal dimentions. Once they clean up all four sides though, it's smaller 1.625 x 3.625 if I remember correctly.

Can't wait to see it when it's done! :)

Chris

You where asking in regards to lighting and I am no expert by no means although while search Ebay for lighting options I came across this post which seems interesting. What interested me is that my 110 tank is custom build and to size lights and to make a hood will have to be custom as well these lights come in various sizes. Depending on your budget of course.

Code:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/LED-T8-T12-Fluorescent-Light-Bulb-2-4-5-6-8-FOOT_W0QQitemZ130268699883QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item130268699883&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1215|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
ummm..honestly after the stand I lost some motivation and was doing other things like setting up some small native tanks. I need to build it around the lighting and I have been bidding on lighting from ebay but so far I cant win. the buy it now price is what the bidding price is being driven up to, so I dont want to pay that if I can get it for less, I found a used light that I am bidding on now and if it works out I will have some dimensions to work with. If I dont get the lighting figured out I will have to build it with what I have and take care of good lighting later but I really dont want to do that.

I am out of town for now as well then next weekend I will be gone as well so look for an update later in the week or the following week.