This is Leonard :)

About a week or so ago, i was coming into my garage door, and saw what i thought was a leaf laying up really close to the entry way, i started to give it a kick, then saw it had a tail :) its cold in Indiana now, so he muct have crawled up from somewhere to get warm. He looked kind dried out and stiff, and i first thought he was jerky, but i had an extra little 16 gallon bowfront with gravel in it so i added about 3 inches of water, a big flat rock in the middle, for him to crawl out of the water onto, a submerged heater, turned sideways at the bottom, and Now Leonard has a new home. First tiny Snapping Turtle i ever saw in 30 years of messing with fish and other varmits.
Meet Leonard:

Last edited:

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dude that pic takes me back. when i was little i used to have a little guy just like that! I found mine in a local pond, and being the dumb little kid that i was, i took him home. later i learned he was endangered, and i coulda been arrested for having a snapping turtle w/o a permit (gee you can hunt them but not keep them :| seems to be with everything these days)
he doesnt stay small for long lol. mine grew up quite large before i let him go in about 2 yrs...
nice little turtle.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Ahhh yes brings back memorys of wading thru the feeder creeks going in Racoon creek (up there by were at Jim) on my uncles land. Between the snapping turtles and northern water snakes (that many are convinced are mocassins) I could entertain myself for hours. We also used to catch the adult snappers on trot lines in the deeper holes, one of my uncles found them quite tasty, but I never tried it.

Last edited:
Leonard

i remember talking with you brian, The little snapper is now about as big around as a half dollar, If anyone here is old enough to remember those. I most likely will release him before he has to have too large of a tank. Yes brian, my folks are all from Kentucky, all sportsmen, and ive had snapping turtle, prepared like a beef roast, with all the trimmings, they are quite tasty, But, Leonard will not be on tonites menu. *laughingc

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
i remember talking with you brian, The little snapper is now about as big around as a half dollar, If anyone here is old enough to remember those. I most likely will release him before he has to have too large of a tank. Yes brian, my folks are all from Kentucky, all sportsmen, and ive had snapping turtle, prepared like a beef roast, with all the trimmings, they are quite tasty, But, Leonard will not be on tonites menu. *laughingc
hmm wondering what part of kentucky.. Somerset is where my family originated at then moved to western indiana back in the 40's or 50's.