Thinking about starting a saltwater tank

Oct 26, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I am kicking around the idea of a saltwater tank. I have a brand new 56 gallon tank with led lighting, Fusion 500 air pump, Marineland Emperor 400 filter etc. I have done pretty well with my 37 gallon freshwater tank and I religiously cleaned it, did water changes, and maintained it just fine. If I go saltwater I want to go as simple as possible for now. I don't want to do coral or anything crazy exotic for now. What is one of the most basic set ups I can do for a saltwater tank? I know you can get into skimmers, sump tanks, and all this other stuff but I just want to keep it simple and easy.

How much more maintenance is involved than freshwater?
What are some good basic beginner fish I could go with?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
There is not really much more maintenance per se. The larger the tank, the more expensive the setup will be but it is also easier to keep stable. The main difference is monitoring salinity levels (topping off with fresh water as it evaporates) and that you have to pre-mix the saltwater for water changes. This will require a bucket or container of some kind, an additional powerhead to mix it, and a heater.

A 56g is a nice size, and you won't be too limited with fish choices. Most SW fish prefer not to have others of the same type so research is important. A lot of fish also get too big and/or aggressive for "normal" tanks.
Liveaquaria.com has a good list of beginner fish. You'd want to stick to the peaceful ones. Ocellaris or Percula clowns, royal gramma, various gobies, a blenny, firefish, and various others are good starter fish. Personally I love a neon blue goby - tank raised, very hardy and peaceful, come up and sit on your finger. Great little guys.

The filter probably won't be much good on the SW tank, a good hang-on-back protein skimmer would be a better investment. The live rock in a saltwater tank is the primary filtration, plus powerheads for water movement and a skimmer to remove the particles and nutrients. You can do without the skimmer, but really a good quality hang on back skimmer is a good investment and is not any harder than a hang on back power filter - you just empty the cup every couple of days, and give it a good wipe down.

If you want to use the filter anyways, it won't hurt anything for just fish and snails and such. The simplest setup would probably be your tank with light, powerhead for water movement (or 2 powerheads - I like hydor koralias as they are super quiet and have a nice magnetic suction cup to keep them in place), and live rock. With or without the filter or skimmer. You can start with mostly dry rock and just a few pieces of live, and it will all become live eventually.

Resist the temptation to get fish right away. The live rock is called such because of the bacteria that colonize it, and as some things on the live rock die and the bacteria multiply, the tank will cycle. During this time, don't have any fish in the tank (or other critters like snails, shrimp, etc). Read up on cycling a saltwater tank for more info about this, and use that time to get a good idea about what fish you want to get.

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I do not run any type of filter on my SW tanks. All I have are pumps and Koralia circulators. I dont ever run filter socks or floss of any kind. This only removes tiny partials of food from the water column that the coral would normally eat. Well I do run an algae scrubber on my SW tanks.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
You don't need a filter - the live rock provides filtration. A skimmer is a good idea to improve water quality. That and siphoning stuff up during water changes is all you need.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
because im just gonna get the koralia and live rock and thats it basically (for filtration). then all my fish and corals and stuff.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
If you do large water changes you dont need a skimmer just pumps to move the water. I got by for years without a skimmer on a 55G tank. Without a skimmer or algae scrubber you will need to be light stocked and be on top of water changes and test the water closely to detect and nutrient levels rising.

snus29

Medium Fish
Dec 10, 2012
well i mean its a 10 gallon tank and im gettign that stuff i listed above and i only planned on doing like a 50% water change a month.. how often do i do them? and how much watrer becaus eit can get vey expensive.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
SW tanks are expensive its just the nature of them. Water changes are based on the water quality. You might only need to do a 10% every two weeks or you might have to do 30% every week. There now way to know how your tank will be depending on the amount of live stock, substrate, live rock, water flow, and lighting that you will use. Normally you will do at least a 10% change per week on a properly stocked and maintained SW tank.