Think this would work?

RyanML

Small Fish
Aug 18, 2010
hey all,

i have a few guppy fry growing slowly in my breeder trap, they have been in there for a while now and im due to have another litter (this time platys) and since theres no room in my tank to fit a breeder net due to plants and filter output i created this in one of my old tanks, its only a 10L and as you can see its only around half full, but would this set up work? it currently has some water in there from my main tank which was tested a week ago so shouldnt be any problems with the water quality at the moment, i fitted the breeder net into the tank and kept the water level low so it wouldnt go over the net, then put a small filter in the net to keep the water circulating and obviously filtered.

in theory it should stop the fry from being sucked into the filter but would this actually work? i wouldnt like to put some in to try without any input as i no longer have guppies in my main tank and would like these to grow big enough to go in with the other fish.

obviously if need be i can raise the net itself and put more water in, this is just a tester at the moment so only filled it a bit.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; To protect fertilized eggs and tiny egg layer fry, I have used a sponge filter until they grow out some. I then use a hang on back filter powered by air bubbles with a mesh over the intake. The air bubbles can be adjusted to control the flow of water. Just a thought as from the description and picture it appears that you may have a strong powered filter of some sort and seem concerned about this setup drawing in fry. Your pictured setup should work, but many of my DIY setups have presented me with unexpected issues.

I also start with a low level of water in the breeder tank. This allows the addition of fresh water and/or water from an infusoria culture during the first critical days of providing tiny food. I have observed new fry grazing on the surface of a mature sponge filter in the days after pouring infusoria water into a fry tank. The infusoria culture and ground powdered food that I use will cloud the water a bit for a few days, but give the fry a good supply of starter food. Within reason cloudy water is not bad in a fry tank, it does need close attention and the occasional addition of fresh water. By the time the tank is full, the fry are often large enough for it to be possible to siphon some old water out (sometimes with a mesh over the end of the tube) and begin water changes. I also put some floating plants, like hornwort, in a fry tank. Fry seem to find things to graze on the surface of the plants. I have raised many batches of danio this way.

Guppy fry are larger and are better swimmers than egg layer fry from the start. This puts you past some of the issues with smaller fry.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I use a regular HOB filter for my fry tank, but when there's extra small fry in it I used to slip some pantyhose over the filter intake. It restricted the flow a little so I recently upgraded to a prefilter sponge I got on amazon for like a dollar (three dollars for three sponges), and it works a lot better. You might want to look into either one of those options.

Oct 29, 2010
This should be fine, although a sponge or pantyhose over the intake would protect your fry in a much simpler fashion, while allowing you to utilize full tank water volume :)

If you google around a bit you will be able to find plenty of instructions on how to make something like that, or you could buy a pre-made intake sponge :)