Terminal illness

Aug 14, 2011
In the case of a very, very sick fish what would be the proper way to perform Euthanasia on it.*SICK*

Jul 18, 2011
underwater
In the case of a very, very sick fish what would be the proper way to perform Euthanasia on it.*SICK*
I think you should always give the fish a chance to recover, and if nothing's working, you should just smash it. Don't take it out of the water though. just put it in a cup, and flatten it with a rock i guess. That way his death will be quick.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I have lived in farming areas most of my life and worked on many growing up. If any farm animals got terminally sick/hurt the vet would come and put it down or the owner would shoot it (head shot in most case) to relieve the animal of its pain. I guess any fast way would do if there is no chance for the fish to recover. What illness does you fish have?

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Clove oil is supposed to numb fish and render them unconscious, the most painless and effective way I have heard is to decapitate the fish then pith the brain. Probably will never do that myself as I do not know how and I'd just clove oil it to knock it out then freeze it probably.

Feb 27, 2009
I'd use clove oil and then freeze the body.

Clove oil can be used as a general anesthetic to do surgery on fish (such as tumor removal). I've used it to knock out a few saltwater puffers to trim their teeth when they became overgrown.