Tell me your opinions on UGF

Oct 22, 2002
I want to know what people think of Under Gravel Filters. I had Undergravel filters in my tanks (55gallon and a 75gallon) and recently I took it out because I thought that they weren't doing their job. I also have a Eheim canisters on both of them so I figured that was all I need..... What do you think???

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It will work if you have most fish and not plants.  It's definitely not recommended in the saltwater setup these days but for freshwater it can still do the job.  However, there are so many other options for filtration which makes the UGF kind of obsolete.  I just don't prefer it when a canister/HOB is pretty easy to maintain.

What you have now will definitely work.

colesea

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
NY USA
I still reccommend UGF filters for saltwater fish only set ups, but I also suggest getting power heads that allow for reverse flow. The reverse flow pushes water through the plate from underneath, preventing the trapping of dirt and detritus in the gravel while still using the gravel as a biological filter media.  Then I'll suggest an AquaClear off-the-back power box filter to pick up the macroparticles. You really can't ever have enough biological filtration on a fish only SW tank.

In freshwater, I don't use them much. It would be hard to use in a planted set up because the fine substrate used for plant rooting would go right though the plate and clog it.  For fish only, I reccommend it as optional filtration in addition to a good power filter. It couldn't hurt, especially in overcrowded contions. But most customers find "It doesn't work" they way they want it too because they don't practice good tank maintance in the first place, and the uneaten food and other junk they put in their tank ends up on the bottom looking all dirty.  You do have to siphon vac and water change a little more often if you are using an UGF only, and most people can't be bothered to even change their water once a month much less break the entire tank down once a year to get all that gunk from underneath the UGF plate.  

~~Colesea

Pooky125

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Corvallis, Or
Personally, I prefure any other kind of filter over that, granted, I havent used many, but cleaning out the gunk from underneath it, is really nasty. My 1 Gallon betta tank was an UGF before I decided to plant it, but, even riping it down ever few weeks, was just to much work, and it was to gross.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=catfishmike link=board=equipment&num=1016092223&start=0#4 date=03/15/02 at 17:01:31]
there is nothing wrong wrong with ugf's as long as there used as secondary filtration it never hurts to have more filtration unless you're going for a planted tank
[/quote]

It's not even a secondary filtration setup in a saltwater reef tank however.  It has no place in a reef tank because live rocks are the primary filtration or a deep sand bed.  Having an UGF will disturb this.

eseow

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
My opinion is that they do work, but its integrated into your whole substrate system. Its the only filter you can't remove with disrupting the whole tank setup. All other filtration can be removed or cleaned separately. Also, if you have any sick fish in your main tank & have to treat all of them, then most likely what ever medication used, will kill your bacteria thats living in your biological filtration. I run a Eheim canister with two compartments for biological media & a Marineland BIO-Wheel 30 on the outlet. You can't have too much biological filtration, but you can run out of media or substrate for them to live on. Also, they can be removed temporarily if needed. *crazysmiley*