Tap water purifier

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Any one know any thing about them? Like the one made by Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.  I also need to know if you can hook up a hose to it.  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Fishchick,

It will be easier to let it filter to a bucket, it produces about 10 gallons and hour, or less depending on how bad your water is.
     If you are using it to top off, then it is fine to just add.
 If you are using it for water changes, you have to adjust it. It has no vitamins, minerals, Hardness is gone, Ph is 5.5 I think. It has no buffering whatsoever. SO topping off your water is ok cause it will quickly adjust to your Ph. But for water changes you must add electrlytes and such to it.

The hose attaches with a rubber thingy that would fit over a hose end easily.

I am returning my Tap water purifier today. I was told it really isn't needed to keep good plants even in my hard water. I guess they are right my 55 has nice plants in it.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Well the hardness is off the charts where I need it so We are going to try it.  It only does 10 gallons an hour?  It is needed for a 350G system that gets topped with at least 3-4 G. a day.  

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Yes..the tube is like only 1/4 inch???..around there. Remember, it has no akaline buffer, so mix some of your hard water with it, or your PH will be very shaky.

They claim it is faster than an R/o unit however.
It comes with electolytes and the dreaded PH up.

FishChick

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wisconsin
Ok so if I needed a to top off the system could I just turn on the water and fill it or would it take a few hours.  Sorry I am not understanding it real well.  I just don't want to waste money and get yelled at if it doesn't work out.  

Oct 22, 2002
First you must test your water. Is your conductivity higher than 300? If so, do not waist your money on the unit because you will only get about twenty-five gallons of use. Next, you must determine what is in your water and what makes it so conductive. Is the calcium and magnesium or is it phosphates and silica? If the the calcium is high and the phosphates are low, than the water is perfect for salt. If you are trying to breed a South American fish, than you will need to remove the calcium. I suggest a R.O. and Conductivity meter.

D

discusaquarium

I have a tap water purifier. They work great, and are much quicker than RO units. You have to get the attachment that comes with the setup to fit on a sink, which can be hard sometimes, considering if you put the water pressure up too high it just blows right off the faucet. (bad experience with that right there lol) Usually I top off my tank with the water, It takes about an hour to do 5 gallons which compared to a 10g a DAY RO unit. I usually just hook it up and put the polished water into a bucket. From there it just goes right into the tank, where i have a mixture of tap and purified water. Hope i could help.  8)
Joe

Hey all, I'm new here, and haven't been able to run a tank in 3 years (darn apartment building, don't they know this is torture?), but I had one of these Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Purifiers, and thought it was a good investment for good water from hard, cucka water. :p

Here's what I did when I filled up my 55 gallon fw tank with it waaaay back when.  I bought the 25 foot extension, and got it started at a rate that wouldn't blow off the nozzle from the sink, and went out for a while (to the mall, ran some errands, etc).  When I got back, the tank was almost done!  If you are worried about backsiphoning in the event the nozzle does blow off, then read a book and stick around while it does its thing.  This sucka takes a while, but is infinitely cheaper/quicker than most R.O. units on the market.  Hope I could help!  :)