Tank stand height?

Oct 22, 2002
Is there a set standard to tank height? I made a diy stand for my 27 gal hex. It's height is 32" this allows the tank to be viewed at almost eye level.

I'm planing my next tank stand for my 33 gal. I also want this somewhat eye level or at least higher than sitting level. Nothing worse than looking at a tank that you have to bend down to look into.

Suggestions on what the height should be?

Thanks.

R

ronrca

There are many considerations regarding height. Depending on what you want underneath, line of sight, ease of cleaning etc. When I build my stand for my 90G, I designed it so I can fit 5G pails underneath but also that I can reach into the tank without having to get a ladder or chair. Also I considered that I will be sitting most of the time and watching the fish. I think my stand height is around 28". If you follow my link, you can see my pics.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes you should consider some things like that. It all really depends on your taste. Like wheather or not you tall or short or want a ladder to get into it or how much you want to see and stuff like that. ;D

Oct 22, 2002
i went 30 incehs for my diy stand for my 75 gal(that one of these days i'll have the space to set up) but i does making cleaning a little bit of a chore, but i also dont like the low level stands

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wow ronca how much did it cost you to make that stand? that is really fancy for a diy stand. Its made out of oak? beautiful. My boyfriend ordered my stand for my turtle tank and had the tank and stand made. I hate the stand it looks like crap. It cost $100 and I had to wait 6 weeks for it. Its made out of 2 x 4's and plywood.

The stand for my 30 gallon is also made out of 2 x 4's but i used veneer. It also took nearly $100 and 1 day to make but it looks a lot nicer than the one I bought!

Lately Ive been thinking about building a stand for my 10 gallons. I have 2 10 gallon tanks and I have a stand one of those cast iron ones that will hold two tanks one on top and one on bottom. But I think it would be cool to have a wood stand that could hold the two tanks side by side. What do you guys think about this? any cons?

R

ronrca

Thanx Aqua ;)! I like my stand too! The materials costed around $400. My dad is a carpenter so the labour was cheap ;D! My whole project including filters, equipment, electrical, tank, decor etc. costed me around $1500. It was definitely worth it.

I dont see any problems with building the 2 10G tanks beside each other. Sounds like a good idea.

Oct 22, 2002
Well I looked at the tank stands in the LFS and said "I can do much better than that" Just finished putting the final coat of clear sealant onto the oak stand I built for ~150. I stained it almost black to bring out the grain of the oak plywood. Man this sucker looks great! It will accomadate up to a 90 gal tank should I decide to upgrade in the future.

Thanks for the input people.

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I love oak but unfortunely here in California I paid nearly $100 to built a stand for my 30 gallon out of pine! I like a more natural finish for the oak though. My mom's house has all oak with just deft sealant on it. beautiful 6 panel oak doors and railings, trim etc.

Oct 22, 2002
I'd love to build eveyone a stand, however since I live in a 1 bedroom apt with no power tools, I have to have everything precut at the lumber yard.

Assembling things in the living room is always fun, and staining oak outside on the balcony is certain to cause glares from your neighbours. I'm sure they think of me different now that I'm building stuff in the livingroom!

The stand came out terrific. Now I'm toying with the idea of purchasing a 66 gal to put ontop of it. When I setup the 33 gal previuosly, I always wanted a larger tank. The idea of a 66 is very intriging........ ;D

AquaPsycho

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
You might want to be careful if you live on the second floor with large tanks. You may end up caving your floor in. Remember how heavy water is =]

Im happy I live in a 2 bedroom 1200 sq ft apartment with a large garage and balcony now so I have plenty of room to build something! Only problem is I dont have a saw but my boyfriends father has everything =] Even a table saw and a router =]

Oct 22, 2002
No probs here with the tank busting thru the floor. The building is made of concrete. I'm going to take the wheels off the stand as they certainly won't support a large amount of weight. Besides, I won't be moving the tank once I set it up. ;D

No, just to save up enough to buy the supplies....... ::)

brad

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
my diy self stand is made out of pine 2x4's and 3/4" oak and various widths..the tank supports a 55 gallon tank. i still need to make the doors for it to hide all the equipments and supplys...my stand hight is 32" and like most poeple i sti to watch my tank..the top of the tank is at 53" so it is not a terrible pain to clean..

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Most apartments these days should be able to withstand lots of weight.  Consider a couch in an apartment at college.  20 People coming in and drinking and partying and a few people wasted jumping up and down on the couch.  That's a lot of pressure.  The only time that you might have a problem if you have a flood and it warps the wooding underneath the apartment.