Tank age

sparkydave

Medium Fish
Dec 1, 2004
Ohio
Visit site
My 48 gallon hex sprung a leak over the weekend, not fun. Since it was secondhand and probably getting to be over 15 years old, I decided I didn't want to try replacing another seam. I already had to fix two leaks; one was my fault when I got a little too aggressive cleaning it, and the other was when my cat was sinking her claws into one of the seams. At least the two seams I replaced were fine, but I figured if the old seams were letting go then I should get rid of it. So does the silicone start to let go after a while? The seams I replaced were still OK, but I was able to scrape some of the old silicone off the glass with my fingernail.

May 4, 2011
Ohio
Yes silicon loses strength after years of constant pressure. I have no experience with old aquariums but it is basically 5 panes of glass bonded together with silicon, if they are being pushed apart you could feasibily remove the seams and reseal the panes but if you are keen to do that, it might be worth it to just make your own DIY aquarium. Maybe retire it into a viquarium or terrarium? In any case you can find another second hand aquarium relatively cheap if you decide to let that one go.

Feb 27, 2009
I have no idea how long a tank is supposed to last, but my dentist back in Florida is still using the same aquarium, set up by me in 1982, in his office. It is a 75 gallon tank, bought at a big-chain pet store, nothing custom made. It has never leaked and has been in constant use for almost 30 years. He keeps a beautiful pair of black angels in it currently, as well as other South American river fish and plants.

Last edited: