Swordtail Gravid Spot

Jul 31, 2003
Clemson, SC
www.myspace.com
Female Green Swordtails usually always have gravid spots from what i have seen. Ive seen a tank full of female greens and no males, and they all had gravid spots. I doubt she is pregnant, but there is still a chance. Mine is pretty fat, with a huge gravid spot, but i dont think she is pregnant. I think the black spot is just a part of her.

Dragonett

Large Fish
Aug 13, 2003
Norwalk, CT
Visit site
Ask yourself this question: What will you get out of this whole fry experience?

Because I know of people who wanted to breed their animals, and it ended badly because they just kept breeding more and more until it became severely overcrowded. You can't exactly neuter live bearing fish, and they can breed pretty quick, and have the ability to hold and store sperm.

yes dragonett is right! they constantly breed and breed and breed! i have 9 adults in my tank, my 10 fry are still surviving. this shows you how well live bearer fry can adapt. there is another alternate though....if you have too much fry you dont want and they grow up and you cant sell them all, you could always get killies or meat eating fish....;) just hope you do what you want.......

Jul 31, 2003
Clemson, SC
www.myspace.com
an to make some money in the process of raising the fry
Im guessing by that u mean sell them to people and LFS'?
To my knowledge, many LFS' do not buy livebearers back that much, because they are so popular. Just thought id say that. I know my lfs' wontbuy livebearers back because they have so many and they are really popular. You might can sell em to people for like 5 cents a peice, but usually u cant get much for the babies of livebearers.

ahhh fishman, you took that right outta my mouth! livebearers often sell for a few cents each, aint worth coverage for the food. which is why people who sell livestock to lfs or chains sell it in MASS quantities. i suggest, even IF you sell, sell it to other people, but it is all in the quality. the more shiney and long finned or whatever on a livebearer, the more they are wanted for. i thought about selling to the lfs to get money, but now that i think of it, i dont think its worth it, thats why im selling my fish to people who dont have fish and stuffs...blah blah blah, blah blah, blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah...........................................

Jul 31, 2003
Clemson, SC
www.myspace.com
lol, yep! even though i love breeding fish, its not really worth it, no one buys em, unles u just keep em and use em as food or w/e, then its good. The only use for baby livebearers is food for big fish like cichlids or w/e. Although you can raise em for fun if u have another tank to put em in.