Super-bloated fish

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
One of the danios in my 29g live-bearer tank is outrageously bloated. His entire body is at least twice its normal circumference, from head to tail. There are no other visible abnormalities. He's chilling at the bottom of the tank, hiding under a decoration. He seems to be having trouble breathing.
The tank parameters are within safe limits according to my test strips (no money to get liquid test kit tilL at least tomorrow). The ph is close to neutral, very slightly on the acidic side. i do regular ~4g water changes every weekend. We have relatively soft water. The temp is set to 76f. The tank has high lighting (t5) on a timer for 10 hours a day.
I just noticed this today, so it's fairly acute, at least to this degree. He was swimming normally (active) as late as friday.
The tank has about 25 fish total (see sig for accurate list - first tank listed). Everyone else looks good and ids acting normally.
Thanks in advance for any & all help!

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
So, I've asked several fish people, and they are fresh out of ideas... I'm doing melafix at the moment with no noticable physical change in the fish, tho his activity level has increased slightly. He's still nowhere as active as he used to be, but he is swimming around the whole bottom of the tank. He also seems to have developed a film on him that's somewhat opaque. If he were a reptile, I'd say he was going into shed. I took some video of him next to the normal danio, but it doesn't upload properly to youtube. I also took some pics that are on my photobucket, but once again I have problems with them on my phone... If anyone is motivated enough, you can search for my user name on pb: mdngtrain. It should be the 4th or 5th pic in my default album. I have the same ist name on youtube, and it's the only video on there by me.
Anyway thanks.
C

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
Are his scales sticking out from his body? Kinda like someone "brushed" his scales the way across? I couldn't really tell from the photos.
It could possibly be.....dropsy.

Photos from photobucket can be quite easily linked to your thread.....just for future reference.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
His scales lay flat. That was one of the first things I looked for... :/
The photobucket problems come from using my phone, I can't figure out how to copy-paste on this stupid thing.
Thanks!

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; Could the fish be a mature female full of eggs that for some reason are not being released? My zebras frequently release eggs in the community tank , which are eaten. If so I do not know of much that can be done about it.
Could the fish be constipated? If so some forum members have suggested the feeding of raw/uncooked canned peas to help this condition.

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
His scales lay flat. That was one of the first things I looked for... :/
The photobucket problems come from using my phone, I can't figure out how to copy-paste on this stupid thing.
Thanks!
Oh.....well that its good! You don't want them to have dropsy. Maybe try feeding it peas and see if his/her condition improves.
Here is a quick link about peas for fish.