Substrate ID

Feb 27, 2009
I thought I had crushed one once and when I moved the tank about a year later, found 4 of them. Each had 1 or 2 long legs, and the rest smaller legs, with an oddly shaped center disk.

Feb 27, 2009
They were not Asterina, all were brittle stars, regenerated from the center disk that was crushed by my accidently dropping a piece of live rock. Over time, they all looked like normal brittles as far as the legs go (same length legs ~8" or so), but the center disk was never completely round in any of them.

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Thats just crazy, I got ya, I thought you were talking about two different types when you mentioned the odd shape. The brittle stars I have stay tiny and dont get more then about 1-2" across. I just found some that where all white when I was moving some rock around, first time I have seen them before.

Feb 27, 2009
There are a ton of species with the common name of 'brittle star.' Your sounds like one of the 'mini' versions. Most brittles have 5 legs. Mine were 6 legged (like yours), stripped (redish-brown and tan), and had legs about 8-9 inches from the center disk. I found it when I was snorkling off Key West. I was hunting sea horses and found it amongst some dead snail shells near the low tide mark.

Of the 4 it became, two kept 2 of the original 6 legs, and two had 1 of the original 6 legs. It took over 2 years before they all had 6 normal (for their species) length legs. I didn't even see them for over a year (I think they saw ME and said 'whoa...that's the crazy lady that tried to KILL us with the rock! HIDE!!'.

Sorry to highjack your thread! Did you ever ID the substrate?

Last edited:

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
I sure didn't, I am still looking for it. I was wanting to put some in my SW molly breeding tank but I might just have to use sand. I have a big 40 pound bag left over from the 150G build I will most likely use seeing I cant find that beaded stuff. I have a fire fish that hides from me for 1-3+ weeks at a time. I dont know how he does it but he does. When I see him I announce to the family that he has come back home.
I would like to collect some livestock from the ocean one of these days, that sound like a great time! I love to snorkel at the lake when the fish are on the beds and mating. I know the ocean has to be 1000 times better.

Feb 27, 2009
I worked with a dive team in Florida that put out 'debris' in the Gulf of Mexico and later collected it (and whatever was growing on it) to sell. Most was 5+ years growth.

I hope you find the substrate! I first thought it was Zoomed's Hydroballs, but seems too consistantly round to be that.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2009
It was, like an undersea treasure hunt! We couldn't put any markers (buoys) on the surface for fear others would see it and 'steal' what we had put down, so had to use what was then crude GPS technology. Plus stuff gets moved by the currents, storms, etc. We actually only located about half of what we put down LOL!