Stroke?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I noticed one of my loaches had a zigzag in his spine today, but when I went to get my camera he swam off and was hiding somewhere by the time I got back. I had to run to class so I don't have any pictures yet, but I'll try to get some by this afternoon. I'm pretty sure bent spine means stroke though, right? I know its not treatable, but is there something I can do to help him out? Or is there something I need to do to prevent anyone else in the tank from having a stroke?

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
A zig zag spine means Fish TB. There's no cure, so you have to put him down immediately, before it spreads. Make sure that you don't touch him though, people who touch fish with TB get some weird sores on their hands. If he looks like this, then you have to put him down immediately. It will spread.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
My fish is more zig-zagged horizontally, and the fish in your pictures are more vertical. I hope that makes sense. Does this still mean it is TB?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
That means its definitely TB? I read online clove oil was the easiest way to go, so I'm going to look for some of that at the store. What should I do with the rest of the fish in my tank?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I looked through that site, and the only thing that mentions bent spine is TB. I have read about strokes in fish though, so how do we rule out that that's not what it was?

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I feed them Omega One color flakes, Wardley shrimp pellets, and occasionally algae wagers. Lately I've been giving them Jungle anti parasite and anti bacterial food as well.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Interesting. Neither have any value for calcium, and only the pellets have vitamin C, which is 400 mg. I'm not sure how mig fish need a say or whatever though.

To be completely honest o probably haven't been feeding my dish as much as I should over the past two weeks because I've been so busy, and looking back there's been quite a few says on a row they havent gotten any food. That makesw think it could be malnutrition, but shouldnt the loaches have been the best off since they can eat snails?

Ruling everything else out and I'd this is TB, what do I need to do? Some places online say I should go ahead and euthanize the tank, bleach everything and start over, but some places say it's treatable with strong antibiotics if the fish aren't showing signs yet. What singly guys think?

Also, I've had two platies did recently, but I'd just attributes it to old age since I'd had them for a long time. One of them was the one with red colored fins, and that's always worried me a little bit. Months ago I also had a platt die who had become very thin and also had developed red fins. I had a guppy die with ragged fins, but I blames that on my ghost shrimp. Could these all have been TB deaths and I just didn't realiE or because there were no bent spines?

I hope all that made sense. I'm posting from my phone and sometimes words get misspelled and I don't catch them, so feel free to ask for clarification if something seems like gibberish.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Try Googling "Betta crooked" I just remember several years ago I had a betta with crooked spine. He continued to eat fine until he died, but he did live quite awhile. Anyway when I just googled that again there were a lot of opinions and options.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Did you end up putting any other fish in that tank later? If so, did they develope any problems?

Last edited:

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
This was before the forums so I was still doing the "betta in a bowl" thing, but I do know I continued to use the same bowl and decor with other fish. I was doing complete weekly water changes at the time. I guess that's not much help.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I was asking because the Internet says if it is TB I news to completely clean everything so other animals using the same rank don't get the disease. I read some article about lizards getting TB because they were kept in a tank that previously had TB infected fish in it and the tank wasn't properly disinfected.

I think my plan of action is going to be this: wait it out, if another fish dies I'll have to do a necropsy to see I'd it has spots on it's liver. It sounds like that's the only conclusive way to determine if this is TB or not. If it is, I'll have to figure out where to go from there.

Last edited:

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
Definitely. They don't really sell anything like that in town, but I'm going home for Easter and can check out a store in the city when I get there. What's a good thing to feed them?