Stripping Mouthbrooders?

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
My apologies if this has been addressed before but how do you go about stripping fry from mouthbrooding Mbunas? and how long do you wait, until after you first notice the fish holding?
I have heard several methods, using a turkey baster is the one I'll probably end up using.

The reason I ask is because I have this yellow lab in her own 15 gallon tank which basically has fry poking out of her jaw - when she breathes I can look in her mouth and see the fry. she has been in her own tank for 4 weeks - she will probably spit any day now.   A few days ago I put the temperature up to 80 from 77...  and she is still holding.

The only other tank occupants are about 20 ps. zebra fry. if you look close you can see her in the bottom right ceramic block.

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
The best way I have seen is the turkey baster way. That's the way my lfs did theirs and I watched and the fry all live and come out very easily. I would suggest that way. Good luck. ;D

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I was just going to do that. and then I noticed the lab eating food. I looked closer and didn't see a mouthful. No fry in the tank, so she swallowed :( it was her first time so I forgave her.

Not to worry I have 2 brooding zebras, a brooding chisumulu lab and possibly a lwanada..   time to take the rocks out again.. arrgh. ;)

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
I don't know - this is the first time this particular Lab has held fry - and it's only my second time actually having a fish with fry. The first one spit her fry out as soon as I put her in her own tank.

I have a few more mouthbrooders in the main tank, and I am debating whether or not to remove the mothers into their own tank.  I am weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each - keeping (selling) fry, or taking the chance and let them fend for themselves in the main tank (and try to catch the fry later)

Mouthbrooders will normally hold and release fry themselves. but stress etc. can affect this

Damerf28

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Somonas
 Ive used toothpicks ( the rounded type) before for stripping females. Just hold her lower jaw open with your thumb and kind of pluck the babies out bye sticking the toothpick in her mouth and kind of fling the babies into a fry tank. note when you get her mouth open with your thumb some of the fry will fall out on their own. And also if you are to soon on stripping the fry they might not be free swimming yet and still have their yolk sacks you dont have to feed them at this time until the sacks have been absorbed and the fry are free swimming.

Hope this helps a little.
   Dave 8)

jak

New Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Hi Art,
Sorry to hear you lost the fry buddy :'( but I doubt she would have eaten them at that stage of development. If they are eaten, it will usually be in the first week and a half after spawning. I noticed you had other fry in the tank with her and assume you were feeding them? Then my guess is that she has spat them in the tank and they are either hiding in the rocks or the other fry have eaten them.
I keep females with their fry for up to 6 weeks before I move mum back to the colony tank and very rarely do I have any problems.
Keep a look out - I would love for you to spot some hiding in there  :D   :D
Anita

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Yeah!!  I just discovered 3 yellow lab fry!  I was watching them eat, and I noticed some small fry hanging out at the bottom, and they were yellow. hmmm.  very cool.

Today I ripped apart the 80 gal and put the holding zebra and the holding chisumulu lab in the 15 gallon, (with the other fry).

I am going to need a bigger tank soon, currently there are about 20 zebra fry, 3 lab fry, a 4" zebra and a 2" chisumulu lab in that tank.  ...and the zebra fry are growing like weeds