Striped Catfish issue

Oct 26, 2004
Pennsylvania
Visit site
So I stepped in a puddle yesterday in my living room and found my 29 gal tank was leaking. There was a gap in the seam about 3 inches from the bottom of the tank. Since there were no pet stores open, I bailed my fish (a striped catfish and 3 chinese algae eaters) out and save as much water as I could. Since it was a Sunday night, I couldn't get a tank, not to mention my floor is soaked and I can't get something else until it's dry. I moved the fish into the only thing I had - a 1 gallon kids tank. I tried to put some hiding places for my cat (he's about 5") and his color has restored. I know this is very overstocked but how much time can I buy until I can get a new tank? We plan on getting a new stand and tank but it may take a while for the spot to dry (we live in a townhouse with not many other options to set up a tank). Please advise.

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
Do you have some kind of rubbermaid container -- like a big lidded storage bin, for instance? any kind of plastic container bigger than a gallon? If so, rinse it really well and set it up as a temporary home for your fish. You can use the filter from your tank if it will work on the container. Otherwise even an airstone is better than nothing.