story problem

Jul 28, 2010
hi! this site is so cool. Last week, I had a 10 gallon tank with one silver dollar, 2 platys, 3 dannios, and an algae eater. Last night, I noticed I now have one silver dollar, 2 platys, 2 dannios, no algea eaters, and lots of new little spiral snails everywhere! What is going on!?

Jun 18, 2010
Lima OH. USA
Did you buy live plants? I purchased a live plant from my lfs and a few spiral snails came along for the ride, also how many hiding places are there in your tank? The algae eater could be hiding out somewhere

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
Firstly, welcome to MFT!

Secondly, you need to get rid of that silver dollar. They get to be 6" long (way too big for a 10gal tank) and need to be in schools of at least six in order to thrive.

Third, exactly what kind of algae eater do you have? Is it a pleco, Chinese algae eater, otocinclus catfish, Siamese algae eater? If it is a pleco, what kind (common, bristlenose, rubberlip, etc)? If it is a common pleco, it needs to go. Common plecos reach 24" in length and are HUGE waste producers. Even the smaller varieties of pleco (like the rubberlip and bristlenose) are a bit much for a 10gal. If it is a Chinese algae eater, it will stop eating algae as it grows and will become extremely territorial and attack your other fish, not to mention the fact that they grow up to 11".

That being said, it isn't unusual not to see a pleco (or almost any algae eating species for that matter) most of the time. I have a bristlenose pleco in my 29gal and I just saw him for the first time in two days. They are very adept at hiding.

As for the missing danio, check EVERYWHERE it could possibly be...decorations, plants, filter, etc. The damage a rotting fish can do to your tank is incredible (one 5" featherfin catfish dying in my 55gal caused the whole tank to basically crash and burn).

Also, the snails you have are most likely pond snails. They are harmless, but a bit of a pain to get rid of. Look at invertzfactory.com for an assassin snail. They kill and eat other types of snails and don't add very much at all to your bio-load.