Storm

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
This has got to be the worst snow storm I have seen in this area. We have about 9 inches of snow, lost power last night and although we have a generator it is not on the circuit with our well - so no water to flush toilets, etc. My aquariums, tho are on the circuit with the generator so as long as the propane lasts, the fish will be okay. We have a wood stove and are huddled around that. This is the first time that we also lost phone service until just a few minutes ago so I was unable to get on line. The damage from falling trees and limbs looks bad out there. We live a mile off the main road and it is impassable. The snow has changed to freezing rain. Simply put - ITS A MESS. Back to feeding the wood stove. Thyra;)

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; With that much snow you can set buckets of it near the stove to melt and this can be used to flush toilets. You are better fixed than I will be if the power goes off. I have not gotten to a back up heat source yet.
Good luck.

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Hey skjl! Have you ever tried melting snow to get water?? When our kids were young once we carried buckets of snow in only to find that it really wasn't that fruitful. I no longer remember how much it took to melt down to a gallon of water, but it wasn't worth it. We have some 2 1/2 gallon containers we store in the second bath and I think there is a 5 gallon container in the garage, but we are finding out at our age that those 5 gallon containers are hard to deal with. I also got a slew of gallon plastic jugs filled. Once the road clears up, we can get water from a neighbor who has a generator on their well.

Feb 27, 2009
We were snowed into our home for 6 days once. I think for us it took 11 glasses to make 1 glass of water (it will depend on how dense the snow is). It was a pain, but our case, it was our only source of water.

I will keep you and your family (and fish!) in my thoughts and prayers through the coming storm and its aftermath.

skjl47

Large Fish
Nov 13, 2010
Northeastern Tennessee.
Hello; My first wife and I lived in a house for a while with only fireplaces for heat. The first winter was a cold one. Sitting in front of the fireplace, we would be warm in front with a cold breeze at our backs. I did learn to bank a fire that would keep overnight. By the next winter I had put a coal cook stove in the kitchen and a Warm Morning coal stove in the living room. That was warm heat.
I would get a couple of the coal buckets full of coal from the pile outside. During one heavy snow I had filled the buckets with coal that had snow on it. They sat near the stove and the snow melted into water that mixed with the coal dust accumulated in the bottom of the bucket. It made a thick black slurry. Up in the evening my wife had bathed and washed her hair which hung to her waist. She liked to comb it out while standing next to the warm morning. The stove was hot but not as hot as she liked. It had burned down to a lot of coals. She shook the grate which dropped the ash down into the pan and left the very hot glowing coals exposed. A bucket was nearly empty of coal with about the right amount to add to stoke up the heat. Instead of picking the blocks by hand she decided to dump the coal straight from the bucket which had a tappered spout for just that purpose. When the black wet slurry of coal dust water hit the red hot coals, it exploded into steam and shot a soot laden cloud into the air covering my now no longer clean wife. She was not hurt or burned just covered with a layer of soot and coal dust. It was of course my fault.
I still get a chuckle of of it when I picture in my mind the look on her face and the image of her standing with her arms askew and covered from head to toe with a layer of black. I think I made the mistake of laughing out loud, mistake number two.

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
That's hilarious, skjl!!! If I lost power, I wouldn't know what to do. I have a hard enough time trying to keep my bearded dragon warm let alone my fish. So far, I'm not wearing a coat, just a fluffy hoodie. I wake up and it's 9 degrees outside. Go outside and stand for 15 minutes trying not to freeze my ears off. Get to school, all is warm and well. Last class of the day, gym, and we have swimming. Going home and my hair is wet, I'm freezing, but yet it's in the 20s and most of the snow is gone. We usually get 2-3 inches every night.

Btw, I have a back up generator, but my dad doesn't want to use it for my fish. What should I do!?

KcMopar

Superstar Fish
Tell him its the fish or YOU!!! Well, maybe that would not go over well at all!! He might choose the FISH!!!!!! LOL!!! Just Joking kiddo!!! Maybe you could get him to let you use an extension cord for the pump and heater as they are only a few watts each. Tell him surely the superior super wattage generator you bought could support such a small load. Most guys like it when you talk their big boy toys up like that. It is late for me as its 9PM here and I get a little giddy at bed time so maybe I do not have the best advice for you LOL. What was that secret code XD-0-o, Xd:";!:)_ YoU_nO-WhAt?<:_ I MeaN

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
Do you realize that has got to be the most ineffective way of communicating I have ever seen? Some of you obviously recognize it, but I have found in my research with younger people, they just write it off. To me that means even your cohorts don't necessarily understand it - they just don't want to admit it. It is just unnecessary letters in a sentence. Almost like four letter words used when people can't communicate. ... _ _ _ ... Let's go back to real code in that case.

MdngtRain

Large Fish
Jan 9, 2011
New England
Thyra, I feel you. We had an awful storm back in october that did similar damage. We didn't have a generator tho, so I lost some fish :( I'll keep you in my thoughts, and hope you get plowed out soon!

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Oh, I'm taking web design in school so I know the CSS, HTML, and XHTML codes. Like: <font face="Comic Sans MS"; font color="4000FF"> Click me </font>

And now, it will look like this: Click me