Sponge Filters

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I'm about to set up two ten gallon tanks with air-powered sponge filters, and while I'll probably go the DIY route, I was shopping on Amazon anyways and came across the Hydro series of sponge filters. They go all the way from I to VI I think, but I was wondering what the difference was. Is it just the size of the sponge? I realize that more sponge = more bacteria, but is there like a cut off to how big the sponge should be before you're not mechanically filtering with the air lift anymore? These ones on Amazon were pretty cheap, and I'm sure if I ordered them through my LFS they'd be even cheaper without shipping. What's the consensus on DIY vs just buying one on reliability and price?

Feb 27, 2009
Here is a link to the manufacturer. They recommend the Hydro I for a 10 gallon tank. It shows the relative sizes of each sponge and gives the dimmentions in the chart at the bottom.

Hydro-Sponge

Personally, I would do the Hydro II and slice the sponge in half horizontally if you don't need the height. If you can use the height, having the two pieces of sponge in there means you can instantly cycle a new fry or hospital tank if needed. They also sell the 'halves' of a Hydro II and call it the 'Stackable' version.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I remember you saying that's how you do it in another thread, and it sounded like a great idea, I just wasn't sure how to go about doing it. Thanks though, that sounds like what I'm going to do.

Do you know anything about their regular Hydro-Sponge vs the Hydro-Sponge Pro?

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I've used the Hydor sponges. I've mostly used them in bare-bottom fry tanks, though. It seems the Pro series has a different type of sponge with more surface area.

To be honest, I don't like the sponge filters much for the mechanical filtration. I probably wouldn't use one in a highly stocked tank. They'd be fine in planted shrimp tank, though, or something similar.

The larger sponges really are a lot larger. I wouldn't get bigger than a size II, or you won't have much room in your tank.

ryanoh

Large Fish
Mar 22, 2010
I was planning on putting in either a shallow gravel or bare bottom fry tank, and they'd only be in there long enough to grow big enough to be accepted by my lfs.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yep, they work great for fry tanks.

I'd advise bare-bottom, as it's much easier to keep the tank clean that way. It takes a little getting used to seeing it, but it's healthier for the fry.

When we're breeding, we keep the sponge filter in the adult tank until the fry are born (to get a good bacteria culture going), then just set up the fry tank with a bare tank, throw in the filter, a heater and the fry, and you're good to go.

Feb 27, 2009
I use only sponge filters (powered by submerged powerheads) in all of my tanks, and have for years.

I agree that in a heavily stocked tank and/or a plantless tank, you would likely need more mechanical filtration on larger tanks. But since all I do are planted tanks, it has worked well for me.

For fry tanks, I always go bare-bottom, but with a twist. I bought small terracota pots (1 and 2" in diameter), fill them with gravel, and use those to plant stem and rosette type plants in them. They are kept (along with the sponge) in the parents' tank and moved over to the grow-out tank when fry are ready to be moved to it. I also use small pieces of driftwood with mosses on it for the fry. Lots of infusoria with this method, which, depending on the fry being raised, can really give them a boost and increase survival rates.

Feb 27, 2009
Do you know anything about their regular Hydro-Sponge vs the Hydro-Sponge Pro?
The 'Pro' has more surface area so more bacteria can live on it they say.

Most of mine are still the regular ones, since they last for years, and were bought before there was a 'Pro' to buy.

I've not seen any difference in fuction between the regular and pro, so next time I buy them, I'll get whatever is the best price (sometimes sales make the 'better' one 'cheaper' in the long run).