SPAM emails!!!!

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
I get about 50+ spam emails a day on my work email address. I am hesitant to activate the SPAM filter on my antivirus because sometimes it filters out legitimate inquiry emails. :(

What is the best way to try to eliminate these stupid emails? I have tried using the "un-subscribe" link on them, but honestly it could take all day to do this, and them I am hesitant because isn't this actually validating that they have "spammed" a correct and functioning email address? And it doesn't seem to help anyway.

I know that a lot of them I get because our website lists all of our email addresses on the "contacts" page and the crawlers can easily pick up on our email addresses.

:mad:

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Your best bet would be to filter out certain words manually. Like "Rolex" and of course the naughty words. This should cut down on quite a bit, while still allowing for legit emails to come through. You can continually add words you know do not pertain to your business.

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
Thanks, Avalon, but yeah, I have tried that. For example, here is an email I rec'd today:

TO: (me@work email)
SUBJECT: new baxyw

Hi,

CxIALIS $ 3,75
VxALIUM $ 1,21
AxMBIEN
VxIAGRA $ 3,33

http://tadefuhajaxeca.com

light leapt from their eyes. In the gloom the great dwarf gleamed like
gold in a dying fire.
Rocks were buried down from on high by the goblins above; but they

(and that's it :( )

I am afraid to get too sensitive with email filtering cos I am worried that an actual inquiry will get tossed out due to a potential customer mis-spelling something like "weding" or "inkwiry" "reseption" "pahrty", etc.

:( oh well. Good thing I have a delete button :D

TheMainer

Large Fish
Sep 3, 2005
What program do you use for email? Outlook, INotes... ?

As Avalon suggested, the best bet would be to filter out certain words. It may take a little time, but eventually you will get most of them.

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Stevie,just wait till you get that spam email that you open and it deletes your boot block or burns the hdd.See how funny you think it is then.

f8fan,fill in those lists mate.Block words and addresses,mark emails as spam and don't use the unsubscribe features,I'm sure they are just there to help the spammers confirm they got through to a valid address.

I'm sure there are programs out there,either freeware or paid for,that will block spam.There are also lists of words for block lists.It's worth filling them in.Unfortunately alot of spam these days is coming in as nonsense addresses made up like steve@sheofyv.com and they're hard to block because they constantly change.

Hope you find the solution for you in the end.If all else fails you can always change your email address.

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
Mozilla Thunderbird has a teachable spam filter. Thunderbird will put the marked as junk emails in a folder for you to double check before it puts them in trash.

It's been working pretty well for me. Some of those "slightly misspell the word" spams do get through from time to time though.

It's free. You can download it here: Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Thunderbird is the best windows e-mail client.

I don't POP much mail (I use gmail), but the mail I do have to POP, I use pine on a linux box with a macro that runs a Beysian filter. Muhahaha....

Don't ever click the "unsubscribe" link. All that does is let the spammer know that they have found a valid e-mail address with a person that reads it.

Almost all spam is self-induced. When you sign up for an online service, or post your e-mail on a public site, you expose yourself all sorts of spam.

The address I use for online stuff isn't the address I give out to family or friends, which is different from the addess I give out to clients, etc...

~JW

TLH

Large Fish
Jun 27, 2005
Northants;England
Yep I too am getting sick of following people around editting out their email addy from posts at AMD forums.It's a pain and they should know better.

I use a seperate account for doing all the online stuff too.Anything really dodgy goes on another one I can trash when and if.
I also store all my email off my computer with online clients.Saves space for one thing and you don't have any nasties lurking waiting to be opened.