Some advice.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I had been keeping fish for about 11 years now. Up until lat year, I never had a sick/quarenteen tank.

I read on this board, and other boards, all the fish that have been sick, in the main tanks.

I found out the hard way a year ago, when I got a disiese for 1 fish I bought, and I had to treat the whole tank. The results were every plant died in that tank. After that I decided to get a 10 gallon tank, keep some fancy guppys and an otto or two, and have a 2 week quarenteen for new fish. Since then, I have not had a disiese in any tank, including the 10.

My point is, it cost less money to treat a 10 than a 30 or 55 or 125. It also lets you catch it, before making your other fish suffer.

For those of you who have no room, and only one tank...try a 2.5 gallon then. A 2.5 gallon can fit anywhere.

Just a little advice from someone who was sick of treating entire tanks for one fish addition.

R

ronrca

100% agree with you there! I have been lucky so far by not having any diseases. I think that where you buy the fish makes a difference also. I know that I can trust my lfs because he quarenteens his fish as soon as he gets them.

Sounds like a good LFS, stick to him like glue.
On the other side of things we have an importer/wholesaler about 45 miles away that sells what he calls fully quarantined fish.
But we have discovered his ideas of this are totally different to mine.
He collects them from the airport, returns home and places them in his tanks, 48 hours later he is selling them,needless to say he is losing customers fast due to the high mortality rate. 8)

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
In the past I have had problems here and there from the open 7 days a week stores. Unless I would scope the fish out for a while and pray he would still be there, I had to hope nothing happened to the new fish.

Except one store only open on the weekends. The rest of the week they treated all their tanks. I never had a single problem there.Well guess what, they are now open all week. So that is where My q-tank comes in. It came into play actually last year, but you know that.