SO many fishies!

tarajo

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
i have a 29g tank that i have stocked with the following...
2 freshwater crabs
~6 ghost shrimp
4 turquoise guppies
~8million endlers live bearers :)

i think you might be able to determine the line of my questions for this forum bases on the numbers above :p

i started with a modest number of Endlers about 6 months ago, and was so excited when the first few fry appeared. now i am at a total loss as to what to do with SO MANY FISH!
the ghost shrimp have also multiplied but not in any horrific number, although i notice smaller ones occasionally they seem to stay around 5-6 in total number.

so here is my actual query...

how can i moderate the number of baby fish to keep a manageable amount of fish in the tank. is it just a matter of 'culling the herd' occasionally or is there some sort of other fish or tank mate that would help police the total number? i don't want to get rid of them, i love my Endlers i am just concerned that the population is getting TOTALLY out of control.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

Mar 26, 2011
Malden, MA
Hee hee! We had that problem with our cherry barbs. When we removed some plants the parents weren't able to hide their eggs and fry as easily and they would be eaten... usually by the the other cherry barbs. I'm not sure what eats endlers, though...

Oct 29, 2010
A betta or gourami would probably munch a few :)

A betta could go after any pretty fins on your guppies though, or get fin-munched himself, so maybe that's not the best idea.

I've heard good things about Bumblebee Cats for that job (see Compatibility section):
Microglanis iheringi
just make sure it has a good dark hiding spot for during the day :D

Also, I have a few questions for you!

Okay, what do your ghost shrimp look like? I'm confused because I didn't think they could breed in fresh water! So you have supershrimp :D

Also what kind of freshwater crab do you have? I know that many crabs are sold as fully aquatic, but none that I know of other than the Thai Micro Crab can live without access to a land area.

Best of luck with your tank!

tarajo

New Fish
Sep 14, 2010
my crabs do have a 'turtle dock' that they can get up on top of so they can be out of the water here is a picture of one of the crabs and the ghost shrimp (my feelings will not be hurt if it isn't really a ghost :) ).

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
a 29 gal is quite a big tank? hmmm... anyway's i would get a green spotted puffer from wal-mart or a color tetra my pink one will actually try to kill the rosy reds and if they are small enough she tank's them down community tanks are boring i would start getting predator's more fun to watch/keep ;)

kb951

Medium Fish
Mar 11, 2011
United States
Quite a big tank. So cool. I tried to have an aquarium a lot of times.
But it always seems to be not right because after some time the fishes in my aquarium dies.
So sad. I really love fishes.

bar stools
i had this problem to and had stopped this hobby i love so much now, first i would do some research on how to set up the tank, maintain your tank, cycle's and frequent test, also the choice's of what fish you would like to have, and if they would get along, this site had saved everything that petsmart/petco had failed at, lot's of people think you can just by a tank/supplies than start throwing fish in there, i was one of these people and it's ok we are human we learn from our mistake(some). hope my advice helps and i hope to see you get set up and jump in the tank and join us fish lovers :)

p.s (get predator's who kill and get big not weenies that are colorful fish to stare at :)