Snakeheads

MORPHEUS

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
wales
my lfs is getting some snakeheads in and im thinking about getting one.has anybody got any and if so what info do you have on them.
thx

Oct 22, 2002
St.Louis
Some idiot got a pair of them for medicl reasons, but he didnt need them after all so he put them in a pond. well luck has it they were a male/female pair and the spawned and eat everything in the pond. then they moved out of that one into different water sources. now were stuck them in a few areas. They are now illegal in the US so i wouldnt trust a place of they were getting them. So if you find one in the wild anywhere here in he US, do us a favor and kill it. They are becoming majotr problems and eating all the natives and clearing out lakes and ponds, leaving fishers nothing to catch..which sucks for me!!

Fatboy

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I have never seen one of these at my lfs. I live in eastern canada so I am not sure if they are illegal here also. Apparently these fish are real killers and mean as hell. I also like fishing so I would also not be very happy if one of these things got loose in the local waters.

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
its not really the medical reason that caused the big out breaks, the chinese use snakeheads in tons of herbal remedies and such, they were buying them and shipping them here live and throwing them in a pond until they needed them, well snakeheads can walk so they just got up and left and have now spread all over the east coast destroying the eco system

zimmerlyct

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Northern VA
Those snakeheads in Maryland last year were for some soup for medical reasons. The person didn't need them, so he threw them out in a pond. They didn't spread and the govt put a chemical in the pond and all snakeheads were killed...

No outbreaks, no destroyed ecosystem...

Wormo3188

Large Fish
Apr 6, 2003
New York
Visit site
Not true, some snakeheads escaped into nearby tributarys and it has become a real problem. They thought the chemical did the trick, until they started popping up in other locations around Maryland. And it is becoming a real issue, by the way, the ecosytem in that pond was destroyed by the chemicals that were put in it, and the snakehead are taking over.

SoulFish

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Florida
www.rainbowaquatics.com
that was only one small incident zimmer, they are established and breeding all along the south east coast, often times you real in fish and by the time you get them theres only half a fish left because a snakehead got it when it was tired out, it was not just the 1 incident in maryland, its a widespread problem