snails in my tanks help

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
hi i have snails in my tank what should i do do i leave them in do i take them out are they harmfull all advice is more than welcome asap would be great thanks alot dean

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
They can be harmful to your plants if you have live plants. Usually they are just more of a pain then anything because they can reproduce so rapidly. I wouldn't recommend putting them outside to get rid of them though, because you don't want to introduce something to the environment that isn't native to that area.

To get rid of them you could get a fish that likes to eat them or just crush them up for your fish to eat. I personally just put mine in a zip lock bag with no water so they died in there.

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
thanks

well they arnt doin any harm at the moment and they are only really small and there are only 5 or 6 and they are quite nice so i will just wait and see what happen for the time being thanks for the info tho great help any more is defo welcome *celebrate

RoxnSox

Large Fish
Jan 13, 2008
ft. campbell, KY
They can be harmful to your plants if you have live plants. Usually they are just more of a pain then anything because they can reproduce so rapidly. I wouldn't recommend putting them outside to get rid of them though, because you don't want to introduce something to the environment that isn't native to that area.

To get rid of them you could get a fish that likes to eat them or just crush them up for your fish to eat. I personally just put mine in a zip lock bag with no water so they died in there.
you wouldnt recommend putting them outside but you would put them in a ziploc bag and let them die...that seems so cruel.. :p

ishar

MFT Staff
Jul 27, 2007
Hamilton, ON.
hahaha well roxy, cruelty to a few snails is a lot better than being the cause of hundreds of organisms dying right? ;)

As for your snails, decide now if you want them or not. If you decide you want them now but change your mind, you are going to have one hell of a time getting them all out of your tank It sounds like you have spend snails by the size you mentioned, and if you got them without buying them then all the more likely that they are pond snails. They breed very rapidly and will soon look like a plague or infestation in your tank if left unchecked.

So as I say- choose now and make sure you think it through, or you are in for a pain later on.

Dr_fish

Medium Fish
Jan 14, 2008
Canada

Why are they so harmful to live plants?

alter40

Superstar Fish
Nov 26, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I have had chew marks in my plants left where pond snails were crawling around on them. My MTS don't seem to bother them at all, but the pond snails seemed to like destroying the leaves on my plants.

If it wasn't the pond snails in there I'm not sure what else would have been doing it.

dean1397

Small Fish
Dec 21, 2007
united kingdom
WOW thanks

thanks for all the great info i think ur all right about them being pond snails i got new plants about a month ago and just put them right in the tank now seeing them on my plants after a 50% water change i did wounder what i should do i think my best bet is to be cruel to be kind :D well i will have a go at it and see what happens and let you no thanks for all the info its been a great help . dean *celebrate