silvertip tetra with lump on tail

mande78

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
London England
Help! My silvertip tetra has had a whitish/red lump on its tail for about two weeks and it seems to be getting bigger. It's swimming and eating as normal, but i'm worried incase it spreads to my other fish.

I have a 120litre tank water quality all checked and fine, with 6 silver tips, 7 ballon mollies, 4 young pregnant guppies, 2 male guppies and one 3" pleco.

I would be so gratefull if anyone could help me. I have tried looking online but can't find anything

Thanks

mande78

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
London England
Hi, I have a Tetra 6in1 test kit. Results were:
nitrate - 15
nitite - 0
general hardness - 16
carbonate hardness - 6
ph - 7.3
chlorine - 0
it doesnt give an ammonia result but i took a sample to my local aquarium place and they did a test and said everything was fine.

None of my other fish are affected and got up this morning to discover one of my mollies had dropped her fry, most were eaten but managed to save a few and are doing well. (didn't know any of them were pregnant) My guppies look due to drop any day now too.

lauraf

Superstar Fish
Jan 1, 2010
Vancouver, British Columbia
It's hard to tell from the pic...you could try treating with a broad spectrum antibiotic, or, since the fish is acting normal and your water conditions are great, you might want to let things be - could just be a cyst...

mande78

New Fish
Sep 5, 2012
London England
Thank you everyone for your help. I have treated the whole tank with fungus medication just in case but it hasn't got any better or any worse either. still feeding and swimming normally with all other fish. Still no signs on any other fish either.

Thanks again for your help Lauraf. x