sick serpae

trout

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Florida
Visit site
First some details: I have a 35 gal tank, bio wheel 3 stage filter system, several live plants, good oxygen supply, temp 80 deg F. The tank is well cycled and 7 months old. Fish added a few every couple of weeks after cycling as instructed by my LFS.

Water test: ph 7, ammonia and nitrates ideal, hardnes 8dh.

Occupants: 6 rasboras, 5 green fires, 5 bleading hearts, and 5 serpaes (now 3 and one is sick)

At first two of the died while I was out of town. The tank was cared for by experienced friends who feed twice a day. Two days ago I noticed a serpae was swiming with a list (leaning to the side about 15 deg). The next morning it was not swimming well at all and was at the surface gasping (for lack of better word). Now the poor critter is on its side not moving much and breathing. The serapae has lost much of its coler. I do not have a quarentine tank at this point. My LFS suggested hex-a-mit which I started today.

Can anyone please help? I hate to see these beautiful fish like this.

Much thanks in advance.

trout

Small Fish
Aug 20, 2003
Florida
Visit site
Thanks for the response and info.
The poor Serpae did not make it through today :-( I hope to prevent whatever it may be from spreading to the rest of the population and any info to reach that end is greatly appreciated.

Apr 30, 2003
New Zealand
Visit site
thats so sad - i just lost one of my serpaes too. The only up side was that she breed without me knowing before she died and now i have a 1cm serpae baby - its so cute it looks like a little shark compared to my platy and guppy fry!