Sick fish in planted aquarium.   Safe med?

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
My 5 clown loaches recently caught some ich with 5-6 spots on each one.  Anybody know what medication will be safe for the plants also when treating sick fishes in the aquarium.  I would like to quarantine my loaches but they are impossible to catch in a heavily planted tank.  
The only medication I have bought is called "aquarisol" but I think I read somewhere that copper wasn't good for a plants and the medication does contain copper.  Well anyways,  I am going to try it and see if my plants do O.K. with it.  If anybody have similar sick fish in a heavily planted tank and their treatment choices, please share your experience in terms of plant/fish death.

Oh boy.  If I'm not mistaken, loaches are scaleless fish, and any of the meds on the market would be unusable, as would salt treatment.  I believe copper is unsafe for plants anyhow.

The treatment I'd do would be to attempt to quarantine them (difficult, but possible), and increase the temp in the quarantine tank by a few degrees (I really don't remember how high to go, ideas anyone? ???).  This is an old remedy with somewhat questionable results, but it is a safe way to try and treat the fish. :-[

chooks

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I used some stuff called rid-ich.  it comes in a small dark-blue bottle.  It took care of the parasite in three days and didn't kill any of my plants.

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
I have used maracide on clowns before without a problem.

Dattack--- I had a fish get cottenmouth from digging in the gravel I used maryoxy and it killed every plant.I would rather uproot my whole tank, get out the fish and replant it then kill every plant in it.

Good luck let us know if that med works.

dattack

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ah, I was supposed to quarantine for that long before I put them in my planted tank?  Ok, I didn't know that and why?  I got rid of the copper medication and got that rid-ich today ,Chooks.  It does make my tank a nice blue!  Hehe.  The product seem safe enough (malachite and formalin),

Matt Nace

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Pennsylvania
Well the ick came from stress(as most fish get stressed when you get them), had it in the store already, or unfortantly got it from a fish that is a carrier of it. Fish get a certain immunity once they have had it, but can be carriers of it to new fish.

If you quaranteen, then you will see if the fish is healthy ,develops a disease, or is just not the fish you thought it was(the last wouldn't be the case for clown loaches)

Then if you do get a disease you treat it in a q-tank of maybe 10 gallons, instead of a 75 gallon, loaded with plants and some fish. Save money, headaches, and you never have to risk your main tank with a disease.

My 10 gallon q-tank has some nice looking plants in it. So you can make it look like a nice tank. Just keep some fish in there to keep the cycle going.