Shovelnose cats

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=Justin link=board=bottomfeeder&num=993695720&start=0#0 date=06/27/01 at 19:35:20]
Need info on sorubim lima, the common shovelnose catfish. Thanx

Justin
[/quote]

I just read your getting an 80 - 90 gallon tank?

The tank is too small, I kept a pair in my 480 gallon catfish tank. If you still want info, read this:

http://www.aquariacentral.com/species/db.cgi?db=fresh&uid=default&ID=0131&view_records=1

Justin

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Wow! I've read from numerous other sources that say that sorubim lima can be kept in anywhere from a 55 gallon or above aquarium. I kept a juvenile in a 30 and it seemed fine. Now I know they get much bigger, and a 30 is really inadequite (It was my friends, and I kept it for a couple weeks while he moved and got a bigger aquarium). It never seemed like it needed much room, he basically stayed in the same spot, and was not very active (except for at night).
God, when you told me that it needs something like a 480 gallon tank (what are the demensions of that anyway?) I thought you were talking about the Tiger Shovelnose Cat, but then I read the link. I'm a little discouraged now, but thanks for your opinion.

Justin

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I discourage small tanks because, as you may know, they are very very fast and quite active, they would be totally unhappy in a smaller tank. A 90 (im buying one this weekend for marine :) ) is only 18", a shovelnose cat grows past that. I tend to suggest having a fish no more than half as wide as the aquarium, so it has lots of room to swim. Shovelnose cats are not inactive fish, if they aren't swimming, its because they are unhappy with the tank.

I work at my LFS, one of the largest fish stores in the world. We get adult shovelnose cats in, and our tanks are only 18" deep (and around 150 gallons each... we have 300 of them or so), and they don't even turn around in the tank all the time we have them.

Tiger shovelnose tho,you just even mentioned it, Ive kept them too, they feel like they could use a bigger tank than 480 gallons (8 feet long x 4 feet wide x 2 feet tall).

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Yes a 90 is too small for those shovelnose. I have seen them at my lfs and they were in a 300 gallon and she was looking for someone with a bigger tank to take them. They are really neat IMO. Man OBK and 8' fish? That huge. What did you do with him? ;D

Ovrclckd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
[quote author=cowboydude link=board=bottomfeeder&num=993695720&start=0#5 date=06/29/01 at 15:14:30]
Yes a 90 is too small for those shovelnose. I have seen them at my lfs and they were in a 300 gallon and she was looking for someone with a bigger tank to take them. They are really neat IMO. Man OBK and 8' fish? That huge. What did you do with him? ;D
[/quote]

8' fish? I had an 8' tank with 18" fish.