Selecting rocks for new tank

Abu

Small Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I've found that rocks at the LFS are very expensive. They are much cheaper at the local garden centre which has a section for outdoor rock pools but i'm not sure whether these would be suitable for an indoor freshwater tank? I've read that you can boil these rocks to destroy unwanted bacteria etc.? Is there anything i should avoid?

On another note, i don't suppose adding small upturned plastic plant pots will do any harm? I'm planning to cut out "caves" in these and push them upside down in the gravel for fish to swim through or dwell in.

Thanks for the help
Abu

D

discusaquarium

Pour white vinegar on your rock. If it fizzes..it will alter your water.

scrub and let soak in a bucket, then let airdry for a few weeks and it should be fine...:p you could also boil them, it works even better when you do the above and boil them :)

the plastic pots should be fine

ryanp15

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kentucky
Those rocks should be fine. Do what discus said and they will look great. Another thing is that you may want get a clay or terracotta pot instead of plastic. Somtimes they don't float and if cut wrong can cut and scar your fish and possibly injure them. I woldn't chance it with the plastic. ;D

R

ronrca

If you go to www.notcatfish.com, they have an article about rocks and what kind are recommended. Im sure that it will help.

Joe, nice signature. I have read it also and I have changed my way of thinking. He puts it so well in that we do not keep fish but the water.

D

discusaquarium

i really like that quote, it has changed me too. it makes perfect sense to me. hopefully it did the same for some other people.

Somonas

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
O-town
www.myfishtank.net
Another excellent type of rock you can use is called Dolomite. otherwise known as Texas Holey Rock - however it's calcerous so it's only good for fish who like high PH/KH (africans).

Around here we have lots of rock quarries.  You drive in and weigh your car.  Then you fill it with rocks, and they weigh your care again, usually you can get around 300 pounds of rocks for $20.

Make sure you give them a good scrubbing in warm water. if they are really dirty you can soak them in a bleach solution, but just make sure you rinse them well and put them in a bucket with lots of dechlorinator overnight.