Saltwater 6 Gallon

AndyL

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Calgary AB
Its quite possible to do a nano reef in a 6g. But it will be very difficult for a beginner. Suggest to him that he take back the 6, and order one of the new AGA 12g bowfronts or JBJ just started shipping some very nice 12g with a built in Wet/dry and JBJ CF lighting- A very nice setup. I've already ordered 2 (one FW one SW) price is VERY reasonable too. Check them out at http://www.jbjlighting.com/sys_nanocube.html

Yes its a bigger tank - but a whole lot easier to maintain.

Andy

supahtim

Large Fish
Jun 30, 2003
Toronto
it's not that hard to set up a 6 gallon nano, but it is very costly and time consuming. i've had a 5 1/2 gallon for a couple of months, and it costed me a fortune but i've had no problems yet.
go to www.fragexchange.com and you'll meet some of the nicest and most helpful people there, and they will answer all of the questions that you could possibly think of.

jabce85

Large Fish
Jul 12, 2003
Evansville, Indiana
It doesn't cost that much to set up a nano tank. You can do it for under $250. To me, $250 is not expensive, and that's including corals and invertebrates. Also 6 gallons is not too small. I've seen salt water nano tanks that are under 2 gallons. The only thing about these small nano tanks is that you should really have one or no fish at all. If you do have one fish, it needs to be one of the smallest you can find. Yes, they do require you keeping an eye on them, but what type of fish tank doesn't require that? If you can keep a fresh water planted tank, you can keep a salt water nano tank.

Aug 20, 2003
Boston, MA
people.bu.edu
You can definatly do a reef in a 6 gal. I have a 10 gal. reef and I started keeping fish 1 year ago. All you need is:

-a powerhead pump (not to strong 60-100 gal per hour)

-30-55 watts of light which can be hard to do over a 6 gallon tank. I would recomend either several of these(http://www.xkms.org/StacksandStacks-9/Book-Light-Bookworm-with-Clamp.htm) something similar.

-about 6-10 lbs Live rock and 6-10 lbs live sand

Light and water movement are the key to a salt water setup in a nano. No need for a skimmer or even a filter in some cases. Your better off with more water though. If you can do a 10 gal. refuge and sump, your best off. nano-reef.com is the place to check for more details.